Third night in a row at the harbour with ultyma

raptorfan

Well night 3 of our addiction to salmon went rather well. After fishing for an hour or so, Ultyma finally got the shackles off (j/k buddy) and made it down. Another OFC newb was there with us as well, LimbLifter. I arrived around 7:30 PM only to see the pier packed with people. Not too many spots to fish, but our spot from last night wasn't taken. I geared up, made my first cast and my line snapped in mid air so I lost a spoon before I even got in the water. Figured this cannot be a good sign for the night to come.

After about an hour and a half of washing various spoons and watching most of the pier go vacant, I decided to ask ultyma if I could use one of his smaller glows he had bought from Jos today (same size I had lost on cast earlier, and that we had action on last night). First few casts produced nothing, then ultyma started getting a few hits. About 10 min later, I hooked into something. I set the hook, and the squeal began. This fish came in much easier than last night and didn't seem to fight as hard., so I figured must be a brown or a small chinny. About 10 min in, we got it on shore (with my modified net after last nights disappointment). Here he is.....I figured in the 10 to 12 lb range....

salmonhamilton.jpg

He went back in the water after a few photo ops.

This was my 2nd chinny of the year, and also the 2nd of my life. As ultyma said, what a rush. I am addicted to this fish now, and I think sept/oct will become my favorite months of the year. The other one I landed was last wednesday at the mouth of the credit. Here is that one.....23 lbs it was.

salmon1.jpg

Tonne of fun, can't wait to get out again. It is great to finally find a fishing buddy too that is in the area, makes it easier coming off 15 years of minimal fishing to get right back into it.