Niagara on the Lake to require special fishing permits

bigfish1965

I just got a call from Gary Boroughs. He was pretty snarky insisting I am part of a big misunderstanding. When I asked why fishing must remain in the wording he said it doesn't matter because it's fenced off so no one can go in now. Apparently a local is pressuring them to let him fish there as he has done for the past 30 or so years so the word angling stays.

I told him I'll still oppose it if they don't add picnicing and camping to the wording. He snarled "fine I'll add your letter to the meeting next week, good day".

Rick I'm hoping you'll take the lead on this one and register as a delegation. All you need to do is convince council to make a small ammendment in the wording. Gary assured me that the property will be private very soon but also stated that this is not a precedent for them. I'm not sure when the meeting is and didn't ask him as he was obviously unhappy with my dissagreement.

Dan

Just called the Mayor back and straightened something out.

There is one angler that inspired this bi law. They created this to appease one Town resident and possibly the Mayor himself. This will be a private little fishing area for residents only because one guy said he's fished there for years and shouldn't have to stop for vandals and litterbugs.

I got a name and told the Mayor I'll have the OFAH contact this guy to let him know what is actually being done to allow him his honey hole until the Ferry purchases the property. The law is necessary in the towns eyes in the event that the Ferry deal falls through. Hopefully when this guy realizes the can of worms the Town is opening for him, he'll understand. Still the issue will be there.

Imagine that! One guy puts up a fuss so instead of closing off the whole area like they were planning, they create this permit system for residents only :wacko:

Dan