Classic Muskoka boat changed and charged

Spiel

Classic Muskoka boat changed and charged

September 23, 2009

Cathy Cahill-Kuntz / www.muskokan.com

6282b0b64e2eb77a401ad0178fa9.jpeg

SILENT RUNNING. Mark and Karen Harwood of Harwood Watercraft

settle down in a disappearing propeller boat built by Mark.

The boat is a traditional design combined with new construction

techniques and powered by a 48-volt electric motor. / Photo by Cathy Cahill-Kuntz

As Mark Harwood of Harwood Watercraft prepared to launch his Dispro into Muskoka Bay a passerby remarked, “This boat is so precious, I’d put it in my living room.”

For good reason; the carefully handcrafted wooden boat, like any exceptional piece of artwork, draws attention wherever it’s taken. Its smooth, clean lines and beautifully varnished rails make it hard to resist running your hand over its surface.

The first thing you notice about Harwood’s Dispro is the quiet ride it provides as it heads out of the bay into Lake Muskoka with only a soft purr of the electric engine. Trickles of water curl around the bow as it gently cuts through the waves.

Its unusual seating arrangement allows boaters to sit face to face. The boat skims along the rocky shoreline of the bay; a Canadian flag flutters at the stern.

“This is a great little shoreline boat,” says Harwood. “It has an efficient shape and graceful lines and the propeller is retractable.”

The first Dispro was invented in the summer of 1914 in Port Sandfield by boat builder W.J. Johnston Jr. and machinist Edwin Rogers, both of whom were in the boat business. The patent was received in 1915 and a year later, the Disappearing Propeller Company Limited was created. During the 10 years the Dispro was produced in Port Carling, approximately 2,000 boats were constructed.

“The Dispro is principally a Muskoka boat but they were also made in Tonawanda, New York, Lindsay and at Greavette’s in Gravenhurst,” says Harwood.

Since then, Dispros have not only cruised the lakes of Muskoka but on lakes around the world.

The invention of the disappearing propeller device allowed a small rowing skiff to be powered by a small, light gas engine. The boat could be hauled out of the water onto a beach because its propeller and shaft could be raised manually into a small box that fit into the keel of the craft.

Harwood uses an electric engine but the concept is the same. Basically, his Dispro is a converted rowboat powered by an electric motor.

Harwood and his partner Karen, have been in the sail and rowboat building business since 2004. The Dispro is his 18th boat. As well as keeping the business running and maintaining their website, Karen makes cotton boat mats, baskets, key floats and doormats.

Over the past few summers, the idea of building an electric-powered, efficient, displacement hulled boat kept resurfacing. He was approached by a dippy owner and asked if he’d ever considered making a replica.

“My acquaintance lamented that these lovely, old craft were becoming harder and harder to find,” Harwood says. “Dispro enthusiasts have been searching old boat houses and barns for years and there are very few of the originals left. But some of the original hardware, engines and machinery that have outlasted the hulls are still around.”

In keeping with his boat-building philosophy, past meet present, Harwood’s Dispro is a Waterford replica built to the original mold patterns. The first Dispro model was named the Waterford because of the popularity of the Model-T Ford at the time.

The biggest difference between Harwood’s Dispro and those made in the early 1900s lies in its planking.

“I have adopted a modern technique called epoxy lapstrake,” says Harwood. “The hull is constructed of glued lapstrake marine mahogany plywood, a system that creates a strong, light hull without the traditional use of ribs found in the older model.”

Lapstrake planking is a time-honoured system that dates back to the Vikings and is also how the original Dispros were built.

“Instead of using mechanical fastenings like the Dispro builders to fasten primarily softwood planks, I use epoxy to fasten marine plywood planks,” explains Harwood. “My method produces a stronger, more durable, longer lasting and completely leak-proof vessel.”

Harwood believes the electric motor will be attractive to customers because of current environmental concerns and high fuel prices. The four deep-cycle marine-sealed gel batteries provide 48 volts to drive the brushless electric motor. How long the engine can run is determined by the speed and weight of the boat.

“The hydrodynamic hull is sleek in the water. It doesn’t take much energy to move this boat,” Harwood says. “I anticipated it having a three- to four-hour run time but it’s far exceeded my expectations.”

The boat comes with a smart charge that plugs into a 110 volt household current. Owners can easily run an extension down to the dock.

“A couple, cruising at 5 knots can cruise all day, seven or eight hours.”

“The Dippy is a departure from what I’ve done in the past,” says Harwood. “I haven’t had to deal with propulsion and motors before. The most challenging part was sourcing the motor. I must have spent a month last fall researching.”

It took Harwood four months to build the Dispro. Visitors to the website www.harwoodwatercraft.com can view detailed stages of the construction.

“Building this boat has given me renewed respect for the Dippy,” he says. “I don’t think it has any limitations. It’s maintenance-free, fuss-free and user friendly. You don’t need support staff for an electric motor. There are no emissions. It has an added bonus in that you can put it in reverse; you couldn’t do that with the originals.”

The boat is made from planking marine mahogany plywood. Its seats and floorboards are constructed from red cedar; its rail and breast hooks made from ash.

“We’ve had a good response from staunch traditionalists,” adds Harwood. “They’ve invited us to their regatta. We’re now part of a culture.”

“Everyone in Muskoka loves the Dippy,” Harwood says. “I think they’re one of the most distinguished and recognizable boats on the water.”

Although Harwood appreciates people’s comments about the Dispro’s artistic qualities, he is hopeful that whoever purchases the boat will also appreciate it for its qualities as a strong, light and efficient boat.

“With any luck, I’ll get to put a few more of these classic boats into the lakes. I’m really happy about this boat. I could cruise along until sunset,” says Harwood sitting back in the boat, his arm around Karen. “It runs so nicely, I have a problem taking it out of the water.”