Report from this morning plus whatto do with tight skeins

12footspringbok

Well headed down the "hole" this morning with intentions of trying to hook up with some chrome. Drifted some eggs for the first hour and a half or so. No luck with the rainbow thing, either none around yet or they just were'nt hungry this morning. Did hook up with a Few chinny's though. Forgot how fun it is to do battle with these scrappers on the 6lb test and noodle rod. Yes a few floats and hooks were lost in the process, all in good fun though. Grabbed the 8 footer and threw the old faithful CC shad for about a half hour after i decided there was no rainbow to be had and managed one. Heres the pics of the salmon.

femalesalmon.jpg

darkmale2.jpg

darkmale1.jpg

Kept the one cleaner fish for the smoker and it was a female which was a bonus. Got her home cleaned her up and found the eggs to be still really tight no big deal though. Heres how i prepare my roe thats still tight in the skein:

Step one scrape the eggs out of the skein gently with a spoon.

sheins.jpg

Step two put the freshly scraped eggs in a couple layers of paper towel rolling the eggs around and over the paper towels until all the little veins and blood have been absorbed or stuck to the paper towel. Depending on how tight the eggs are you may have to repeat this process several times.

eggs1.jpg

Step three let them dry in the air for 1-2 hours or until they start to almost turn kind of clear and they harden up a bit.

eggs2.jpg

There you have it! I find these eggs will last two years in the freezer no problem as long as mosst of the air is sucked out before they are frozen. They will last 1-2 weeks inthe fridge.

P.S. I'm sorry if you don't like using roe as bait or think its wrong.