Where to fish near Bowmanville

BiteMaPipe

:dunno: Hi just came across this site loads of info thanks guys, I am new to Bowmanville and Canada.

I was wondering where the best place to catch some fish, I take my two kids so any fish any size is fine

I was down at Bowmanville creek yesterday just of liberty at the road bridge and saw four big salmon what the best way to catch them

Salmon in Scotland are very hard to catch as they don’t feed when they move into the rivers are the Ontario salmon the same?

I was more a sea fishing guy in Scotland so cod, Pollack, mackerel and conga eel where my pray.

But I took the kids pike and perch fishing so any info on some good fishing holes in and around Bowmanville would be very much appreciated thanks in advance :worthy:

came across this few days ago, it actually make sense.

River Stage:

Once the salmon go up samll streams, they stop feeding. In a bigger river like the Nipigon River ro the Niagara River, The salmon will still feed for the first few days in the river. 99% of salmon that are caught in a small stream are snagged. People fish like they are fishing for Rainbows and just wait for the hook and line to cross the salmon's mouth which again, gives the illusion that the salmon was caught legally. But not all salmon are snagged. Salmon have nothing on their minds beside spawning. At this time, they are very aggressive and territorial and will defend their spawning ground from Rainbow and Brown Trout which tent to follow salmon up stream to feed on their eggs. If you throw a Rapala or spinner that has Rainbow or Brown Trout colours, the salmon will hit the lure. They do not hit to feed, they hit to defend. Sometimes they will also hit loud colours such as bright red or bright yellow.

As L2p wrote, do NOT fish the Goodyear dam, or ANY other dam area for that matter.

As for salmon techinques, type in floatfishing in the search option on this board, wealth of info.

Good luck

Edited by Harrison

for those that have fished the goodyear dam ...it used to be clearly marked the distance from the dam you can fish ...im not suggesting sitting on the dam ( of course you have to abide by the regs.) but in the general area of the dam there are several nice stretches of pools and the top of the dam used to be like a mini pond that is completely fishable providing you are the respective distance from the dam ...its been along time since i have been down there so if the regs have changed and they shut down the top of the dam all together for fishing ...well i guess you would be outta luck for fishing there...

for those that have fished the goodyear dam ...it used to be clearly marked the distance from the dam you can fish ...im not suggesting sitting on the dam ( of course you have to abide by the regs.) but in the general area of the dam there are several nice stretches of pools and the top of the dam used to be like a mini pond that is completely fishable providing you are the respective distance from the dam ...its been along time since i have been down there so if the regs have changed and they shut down the top of the dam all together for fishing ...well i guess you would be outta luck for fishing there...

Do regulations regarding dams apply only to stretches below the dam or above as well? I see people fishing right above that dam all the time.

Edited by rbell

Thanks Guys, :D yes the salmon in Scotland only take the lures or the flies out of pure aggression that is why such a pain to catch them.

I know the dam you guys are on about, last year after checking my license the ministry guy was just about to get back in his truck when I pointed out that there was about 15 Chinese guys all fishing on and around the dam.

So was he going to check there permits or was I the only guy that possibly mite be fishing without a license.

Well the up shot was he chased them all off the water I assume they did not have permits but he was gone 20 minuets and guess what they all came back.

I took another wonder down to Darlington marina and saw a few guys fishing can I pick up perch crappy and such like around there or do I have to venture some ware else to catch them .

Cheers :Gonefishing::Gonefishing: