Best way to rig roe

tonka

I was just wondering the best way to rig roe for drifting and floating for salmon/steelhead. Also what size hooks to use and how to attach to roe to it. Currently I put the hook through the roe bag where it was tied off and use the loop, from the egg loop know to hold it.

Same as above for how to rig it. For hooks I use Gamakatsu red octopus 10's for salmon and when using worms. For trout I use the 12's. Since I have gotten older and my arms are too short for me to see hook's eye I pre-tie them onto 4ft fluoro leaders at home then use a piece of pipe insulation cut to the size of my vest pocket to wrap them around. It works great and having the extra length on the leader that I can cut off for the water conditions means I can re-tie quick. I also used to rig up different shot patterns on leaders but found I didn't like using two swivels to make changing them just as fast....

Wow, that small of hooks? I've been "trying" mustad neon size 6. Does that size really matter that much? My current set up is my 10lb mono main with 2 float tubes to hold the float going to a swivel to a 6lb berkley vanish about 18" in length to the hook. I'm not to sure about the size of float to use and the shot pattern. Any rules of thumb?