CHANGING JIG COLORS

LAURASDAD

Jig head colour is something I rarely pay attention too, since I normally fish unpainted heads.

Now the grub colour, well that gets changed rather quickly. And after I changing grub colours once or twice with no success, generally I'll change my presentation entirely. Unfortulately, this means I have to pack my fishing vest with so much stuff I look like the Michelin Tire Man!!!

Jig head colour is something I rarely pay attention too, since I normally fish unpainted heads.

Now the grub colour, well that gets changed rather quickly. And after I changing grub colours once or twice with no success, generally I'll change my presentation entirely. Unfortulately, this means I have to pack my fishing vest with so much stuff I look like the Michelin Tire Man!!!

So what would you suggest to someone using live bait such as worms. If they aren't bitting worms, will they bite rubber grubs of different colours?

So what would you suggest to someone using live bait such as worms. If they aren't bitting worms, will they bite rubber grubs of different colours?

The GF and I were fishing at Waterford Ponds yesterday. We were using live worms.

The guy next to us was using plastic worms with a bobber. (I think it was translucent green/black) And he pulled in a nice 3lb smallie with it.

Meanwhile we caught 2 sunfish and nothing else :|

So I have faith in the plastic worm now, I Just have to apply it! :)

Good question, LucG. I don't find myself fishing crawlers or minnows on a bare jig very often. I do use worms and minnows as an addition to my grubs, though, to kinda super-charge 'em. lol

I would think, though, in the case of using live bait exclusively with a jig, that painted heads could work as an attractor. I just don't fish 'em often enough to be sure.

Edited by Mike Pike

changing jig colour usually isnt what makes fish bite try to match your jig colour to the color of the water. you want something that will contrast well with the water conditions. the only way i can see jig colour making a difference otherwise is on clear lakes where the walleye school up tight and if you pull a few out of the school they might catch on. if you know that theyre still under you and you cant get them to bite thats when you might want to change up your jig try a different colour and maybe something a little lighter with a slower fall . also if youre cathing em on grubs or rubber worms then they stop and you think that theyre still there, they probably are try putting a smaller jig with a live crawler or leech or even a smaller plastic bait and slooowwww down your presentation . but when the fish are on an aggresive bite put on something brite and big and fish aggresively !

Edited by BIG FISH

also if youre cathing em on grubs or rubber worms then they stop and you think that theyre still there, they probably are try putting a smaller jig with a live crawler or leech or even a smaller plastic bait and slooowwww down your presentation . but when the fish are on an aggresive bite put on something brite and big and fish aggresively !

When you say slow down our presentation, do you mean as the jig falls, or slow down your presentaqtion once it has hit bottom?

what i mean by slow down is slow down everything using a smaller jig will automatically make you presentation fall slower but once it hits bottom (if thats where the fish are ) dont jig it aggresively be patient specially if your using live bait maybe bounce it on the bottom a couple time to stir it up a bit then lift it and let it sit for at least 10 second without moving it at all when the fish slow down you have to slow down with them try not lifitng your jig as far as usual instead give it smaller "jiggles" or short lifts and drops with long pauses. also try not to get to saran wrapped about one specific colour or bait what i mean by that is just cause you caught a walleye on that jig last week doesnt mean it will work this week and if its not working then its just not working and dont waste a whole day fishing with it because you caught something on it before, having cconfidence in a lure is a huge part of fishing . but some days your fav lures just wont work and you cant catch a fish on it try changing it up a bit put on a lure that looks different or even a colour of grub that looks dumb that people would laugh at you when you tie it on, they probably wont be laughing for long. maybe try something youve never used before because you never know!

Edited by BIG FISH