Fishing the Ottawa River for Smallies

hoot33

Decided to take a trip to one of my favorite shore fishing spots on the Ottawa River in North Eastern Ontario today. I really enjoy fishing this body of water, it has a nice slow current, but on most days its not quite enough to have an effect on topwater fishing.

The Ottawa River is 1,271 kilometers (790 mi) long and drains directly into the Lake of Two Mountains and the St. Lawrence River near Montreal Quebec. The species found in the Ottawa River range from fish as large as Muskie, Northern Pike and Sturgeon to medium sized fish like Smallmouth and Largemouth Bass, Walleye, Catfish and Brown Trout down to pesky Panfish like Sunfish and Perch.

Today i was fishing a remote area of the river only accessible through CFB Petawawa, I like fishing on the base because there isn't a lot of open access to these shore spots, meaning fishing pressure is slim to none, enabling me to catch more, bigger fish.

I showed up to my spot at just after 7 pm, two people were fishing the area I usually wet my line so I reluctantly faced the west directly into the sun. Knowing this wasn't going to be very productive I decided to toss my Rapala Minnow Rap a little bit and tighten my technique a little bit. After about 25 minutes the shore was clear and I was able to pick my spots, I posted up on one of the rocks that taper down into the river. The rock platform I was standing on lead out into the river about 2-3 feet before a steep 4-6 foot drop.

I changed over to my Clackin' Rap with the exaggerated front treble hook, second cast, FISH ON! Put up a nice little fight, got him in, measured him, 19 inches and a hair over two pounds.

I decided to change up and throw on my white, chartreuse spinner. After working the visible structure for about 20 minutes and not getting anything I decided the water was calm enough to use a hula popper, which just the other day I caught a nice sized walleye with in this exact same place.

A good friend of mine that was with me, Jim, had never fished top water before, I gave him a 5 minute crash course, lent him my 06 Frog Hula Popper and sent him on his way, I attatched the 05 Perch and walked about 15 feet into the water to cast, about knee deep. After about 3 casts I turned and noticed Jim watching me work my popper, when I reeled he reeled, when I popped he popped. The only problem with this was when Topwater fishing diligence is key, you have to watch that lure every step of the way. Of course, while he's watching my lure his gets hit, luckily he was able to collect himself and land his first topwater bass, not a monster by any means but a small victory for sure.

Following his fish we decided to pack it in for the day, although we only got one bass each i consider it a successful trip. In my mind when you base the guage for success on numbers and not the enjoyment of the actual experience you've lost the passion of the sport.

All in all the Ottawa river has been a pretty productive source for me, only being skunked once (last night). If anyone out there is considering a trip out on it I highly recommend it, but as always a detailed planning is needed.

Here's a little video from youtube of some Muskie Fishing. On the Ottawa River.

IMG00063.jpg

IMG00062.jpg

photo.jpg

Got nothing tonight, lol theres a running joke with one of my friends that he's a curse to the catching of fish.

We have been out with him 4 times and not only does he not catch fish but no one does, not once lol.

Hence tonights result.