2 outa 3 ain't bad for top-water bass

splashhopper

Well, I was frrrusssstrated with my hook setting yesterday for top-water bassin( with a scum frog -white and green)

The wind was blowing right in to the weed bed I was fishing yesterday and moving that big bowl of green jelly around good.

The fish were striking my frogs but I just couldn't set the hook :wallbash: probably too excited with all the action on em.

This morning I went back out and the area looked very different due to all the wind yesterday...

I got there around 7 am and was working my usual spots to no no avail... not even a swipe...

:unsure:

I was getting a little worried that this August heat had em shut down again. ( although that wind blew the humidity right out of here)

Decided to dig my way through some "virgin brush"(light) at the edge of the pond and try a few spots that I hit when I was out on the canoe a couple of weeks ago.

Two "dug outs " later and WHAMMO, right at my feet again :w00t:

topwaterbass.jpg

I found out the water was a little deeper, about a foot from me, than I thought... luckily I didn't put my foot forward when I hooked that one :worthy:

A few minutes later and I found a half-fallen tree with a promising hole under it...

Climbed out about 10 feet along the trunk :huh:

Dropped my frog straight down and barely had the slack out of it and WHAMMO :D another one...

This was tricky to get in as I only had about 6 feet of line out... i was "balancing " on the tree trunk and thinking I was gonna fall in for sure.( and destroy my new Blackberry that I forgot to leave in my bag on the shore)

It turns out I had the hook set straight in to its lip( bone ?)... lucky for me as I had to inch my way back down the tree trunk to get it out...

Augustlargemouthbass1.jpg

One quick shot of it at the bank and I then HAD to toss him about 4 feet just to reach deeper water. ( I watched him swim away :D )

I then walked back to the spot where I had all the action yesterday.... had one take a good swipe at my frog,but i was too excited and tried to set the hook BEFORE I "felt it" :wallbash:

Lesson for me Today....

keep moving when shore fishing... just like the guys on the boats do.

Splashhopper

PS....

I won't be stranded on shore much longer as I just bought a one man pontoon boat two weeks ago for $75.00 off Kijiji....

It has one small leak in it... and I can't find it yet.... but did manage to take her out on its maiden voyage... only caught a small bass that day and forgot to take a pic from the "tooner) :dunno:

Oh well..... soon I will be taking pics and giving reports like Rich does ! lol

Edited by splashhopper

Congratulations on the new boat! How 'bout a picture of her?

How sharp are your hooks? I know that Scum-frogs can be a bit tough to set by their very design (weedless) but with dull hooks forget it.

Sharpen those bad boys.

Jim

Pics of the "tooner" soon..

The two frogs I lost were brand new... :angry:

should I be sharpening new hooks too?

First off, You use an Ugly Stick? :wallbash: (sorry I don't think highly of them at all despite the fact that more ugly sticks are sold than any other rod)

Secondly, good job with a frog. 2 for 3 is good.

Thirdly, you should set your camera to timer mode so we can see you holding the fish as it is always difficult to get an idea of how big your fish is.

Finally, congrats on the boat. No big deal if it leaks, bring a bailer.

First off, You use an Ugly Stick? :wallbash: (sorry I don't think highly of them at all despite the fact that more ugly sticks are sold than any other rod)

Secondly, good job with a frog. 2 for 3 is good.

Thirdly, you should set your camera to timer mode so we can see you holding the fish as it is always difficult to get an idea of how big your fish is.

Finally, congrats on the boat. No big deal if it leaks, bring a bailer.

The rod isn't an "ugly stick"...it's a Shakespeare(or Abu Garcia?) Enforcer! ..lol

I was looking at the ugly stick though...

any suggestions for tip speed and weight of rod is appreciated though.

That pic... and the ones I have posted for the last two weeks are from my Blackberry... my camera got wet in the last thunderstorm that i got DRENCHED in, in about 45 seconds! lol

Watching for a deal on a camera now.

The "boat" is actually a pontoon boat with one seat on it.... the bailing can ain;t gonna do me much good...

The leak is a very slow one, as I was out on it for 4 hours and noticed that one of the pontoons was not riding as high out of the water as the other.... now I have to find out about taking the tube out of the liner with out wrecking it... I do have a pump to bring with me, but I would just like to fix it right the first time and be done with it...

The rod isn't an "ugly stick"...it's a Shakespeare(or Abu Garcia?) Enforcer! ..lol

I was looking at the ugly stick though...

any suggestions for tip speed and weight of rod is appreciated though.

That pic... and the ones I have posted for the last two weeks are from my Blackberry... my camera got wet in the last thunderstorm that i got DRENCHED in, in about 45 seconds! lol

Watching for a deal on a camera now.

The "boat" is actually a pontoon boat with one seat on it.... the bailing can ain;t gonna do me much good...

The leak is a very slow one, as I was out on it for 4 hours and noticed that one of the pontoons was not riding as high out of the water as the other.... now I have to find out about taking the tube out of the liner with out wrecking it... I do have a pump to bring with me, but I would just like to fix it right the first time and be done with it...

Oh yeah. I knew that about your camera. Sorry.

Rod - I would go for something wtih more backbone than an ugly stick. You fish a lot of slop. I am not 100% sure but I must assume you are using spinning gear. If that is the case I would looks for something 7' MH one piece if possible (i know 1 piece can be a pain but they are better imo)

Oh yeah. I knew that about your camera. Sorry.

Rod - I would go for something wtih more backbone than an ugly stick. You fish a lot of slop. I am not 100% sure but I must assume you are using spinning gear. If that is the case I would looks for something 7' MH one piece if possible (i know 1 piece can be a pain but they are better imo)

One piece MH ? = Medium heavy?

yes I am using spinning gear.

I drive a grand caravan so the one piece won't be a problem for storage in it....

But why is a one piece rod better than a two piece?

thanks again.