River Fishing or Conservation Areas in the Rain?

oates

Hi all,

I fished the river last year in the rain a few times, didn't do well at all (but I was new to fishing). I went to my local tackle shop and told them, they said 'ofcoure not, river fishing is dead in the rain'. I have seen plenty of reports here from the lakes, in the rain, even people favouring light rain.

My question is, with showers forecast tommorow, is it worth the effort to

-a- wade shallow rivers

-b- rent a canoe in a conservation area (i.e. deeper water, rain less of an issue?)

-c- give the entire idea a pass, won't catch jack

Appreciate your expertise and opinions, I like the rain so it doesn't bother me (I'm from N. Ireland, you think you got rain this summer, we get at least 265 days in a year where it will rain at some point of the day, my earliest memorty fishing in Ireland is getting skunked with my grandfather, casting off a dock for a few hours, only to see scores of seals pop their heads up, it was pouring rain the whole time!)

Edited by oates

It's not just about the rain, changes in temperature and pressure can also greatly affect the fishing. As for river fishing, after a heavy rain it's usually very tough. heavy rains increase the flows and turbidity and the fishing often is tougher.