Niagara River in early August?

:Gonefishing: Hoping to take a friend/client out launching from Queenston in early August. I understand you can go upriver and fish in front of one of the Dams -- I believe on the left side? I've only fished once in the river, and never upstream. If it isn't wise we won't, but a friend was telling me they do very well there in summer for bass/trout and sometimes a surprise salmon...? I guess I'm wondering if going upstream from Queenston is safe in a 17 ft deep V with a 115hp, and, secondly, what is in the river to target at this time?

I'm from Barrie so I don't often get down Niagara way.

Appreciate any help or advice.

Hope the summer's going well for everyone.

Kevin :blush:

you'll be ok with a 115 , it may be a little intimidating going up there your first time , Pretty much you'll be bass fishing in the lower this time of year , and in august your too early for the salmon and trout , there are some walleye that are in the river this time of year , there are resident trout in the river all the time but its nothing like november to june

Been there once in a friends boat- watch out for the current change as the demand for power varies- they let more or less water through the power dam. Just upstream of the launch is a narrow(ish) channel and it can really get rolling through there.

I personally think you will do much better on the reef at the mouth of the river for smallmouth or even in some of the slower drifts down river from the launch. Going up river is a adventure that you should try but fishing up there at this time of the year it not so good as a whole.

BTW what "Dams" are you referring to ? ? ? There are no dams on the river.......unless you're speaking of the power plant outlets. If so the one going up river on the "left" is in US waters and again not a area to fish. Go down river for walleye and bass spots.....

Good advice -- I think by the sounds of it we'll stick to the lower river and try some 3 ways, tubes, and grubs, etc...yes, I was referring to the power outlets, not really "dams". Since I have no experience on the river and the fishing seems better anyways we'll play it safe :) Appreciate the advice, thanks all.