Rod and Reel Combo for under $100?

Jonny

Rod and Reel Combo  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Can you put together a good rod and reel combo for under $100?

• Sure, $100 will get you a good combo
    • No way, $100 just won't do it

My apologies right from the word go if something like this has been done before. Like I said once before to that criticism, some of us haven't been around as long as others.

---

Women sometimes take a bad rap for not being as practical as we men are, but it's not always true.

My wife fishes with an old Pflueger spinning reel I bought her about 35 years ago. It doesn't even have a model number or model name on it, dark grey, black spool, pretty nondescript. It casts well, it cranks smoothly, the drag is good, she's caught many fish on it, a few big ones. I don't even know if it's got any ball bearings in it --- I would assume so because it's that smooth. The rod she uses is not quite that old - medium-priced fibreglass/graphite with a synthetic handle, ceramic eyes.

She loves to fish and she's my main fishing partner. I suggested to her the other day that she needs a new spinning reel. (I didn't mention a rod --- best to fight one battle at a time.) She said, in that tone that tells me the issue is not open for debate, "Mine works just fine. I don't want a new reel."

And you know, really she's right. Which brings me to my main point.

Although we fishermen love to spend money on new toys, and debate the pro's and con's of the latest bells and whistles, I'll bet any one of us could put together a serviceable rod and reel combination (new - but maybe on sale) that will work well and give years of service for under $100. Not to say that you might not have more than one combo for different types of fishing, but I'd bet each one could be under $100 and give you everything you need. The technique and the fish sense is up to the individual.

Even though I basically believe that, I still spend too much money on gear. :)

you can get a decent 6 or 7 wt fly rod and reel from walmart that will actually be acceptable for a few years...( streamside ? ) ...there are deals all over the place if ya look hard enough ...Me having kids that carry my gene ...there was no way i was ever going to let them snap expensive rods or take apart expensive reels to "see how they work" :o

Edited by Twocoda

I was just talking to Ol' Harv (more experience than just about any three fishermen put together) and he told me about a friend of his who had an $800 casting combo stolen out of the back of his pickup.

Harv asked him if he planned to by the same outfit again.

He answered, "Hell no, I can buy an outfit for a LOT cheaper that will work just as well!"

I asked Ol' Harv about Okuma reels. He said, "Good reels. I've got a few of 'em and they've been good."

"And did you know," he says, "Okuma's made reels for Daiwa. They make 'em and Daiwa slaps their own name on 'em."

No, this thread is not new, but still worth discussing. Of course you can get a serviceable rod and rel combo for under $100. I have 5 of the Abu Garcia combos that Crappy Tire had on sale last year for about $50...I use them all the time. I like them just fine. I also have a couple of Loomis rods a a decent Fenwick that I bought when I was younger. I have to admit I really enjoy using those rods, but with other financial priorities, I couldn't justify (to my wife anyway) spending that kind of money these days if I had to replace them.

As always comes up in similar threads, a lot of guys, myself included, would much rather spend top dollar on things like line, hooks, swivels, jigs, leaders and lead...terminal tackle shouldn't be scrimped on IMO.

Other thing to consider is just how "into it" you are. For example, I like music, but lack the audio sophistication to really tell the difference between a $1000 home system, and a $10000 home system. They both sound pretty good to me! Whereas a professional sound engineer would require a top of the line sound system to fully enjoy listening to his favourite music, I'd be just as happy rockin' out to my tunes on my $80 computer speakers.

I was just talking to Ol' Harv (more experience than just about any three fishermen put together) and he told me about a friend of his who had an $800 casting combo stolen out of the back of his pickup.

Harv asked him if he planned to by the same outfit again.

He answered, "Hell no, I can buy an outfit for a LOT cheaper that will work just as well!"

I asked Ol' Harv about Okuma reels. He said, "Good reels. I've got a few of 'em and they've been good."

"And did you know," he says, "Okuma's made reels for Daiwa. They make 'em and Daiwa slaps their own name on 'em."

Not trying to start an argument, and I don't know who this Ol' Harv is, but I think he was misinformed that Okuma/D.A.M. makes reels for Daiwa to put their name on, a company that is up there with Shimano. But I guess we are all entitled to our own theories. JMHO