Expired Marine Flares

superdad

This article was in our local paper this week and I thought it might be a good idea to post it, so that there is a method of disposing of old flares.

"The OPP and Transport Canada have partnered to allow Ontario boaters to safely dispose of expired recreationjal marine flares.

For one week only, August 1 to 8, 2009, expired recreational marine flares can be dropped off at any of the 165 OPP detachments across the province.

At the end of the week, the OPP will turn the expired flares in to Transport Canada's Office of Boating Safety for safe transport to a certified disposal site.

Marine flares should be set off in an emergency situation and shouold be replaced after their expiry date. Due to environmental concerns and the dangers of explosion, expired recreational marine flares should not be disposed of in the landfill."

This for your information

David aka Superdad

If they are expried... Get rid of them.. I learned first hand... The ones I had were not marine, but were Road Flares.. and handed to me personally from a OPP officer directly out of his trunk of his cruiser... (They have a big box in the truck of all the cars)

Had them for about 2 years... Stored them in a tote box behind my seat in my S-10.. Had other emergency things in there also since I spend alot of time on the road in all weather conditions... Well Driving down the 401 little over 3 years ago, i could smell something, and turned around and there was smoke coming from the tote.. Pulled over imediatly and grabbed my camera gear off the passenger seat and anything else with in reach and got out of the truck.. No sooner did I get out of the truck and closed the door, and walked around the front.. The inside was engulfed in flames...

Fire department once they got there and got it out, said that it was road flares cause there was one they had a hell of a time to put out with the foam.

Make things worse.. I only had basic insurance.... so I lost out big time..

Never again will I carry flares that are even with in a few months of expiring!

Yea I learned the Hard way too. I decided since I had these Flares and the Flare gun for a couple of years after I bought then second hand with my boat I decided to see how accurate they would be in case I had to use it against an Attacking Bear. I was in Massasauga Park camped across an inlet ( Captains something it was called, I recall) maybe 40 meters wide and aimed at a tree. KA-Boom. Flare spins slowly and hits the dirt 3 Meters from me and I'm hoding just the Pistol grip as part of the Barrel was by my feet. Oh yea it was Dark so it took me about 3 minutes to get rid of that bright spot in my eyes so I could figure out where my Southern Comfort was. So you say there is an expiry date Eh- Well now I know.