Lower Niagara river

I plan to get out to the Niagara river for the first time this Sunday, I know that there is a boat ramp near Queenston was given directions for it. I also know that I have to stay on the canadian side, now my questions are any specific conditions(ie river current) I have to be aware of I'm in a 16ft boat, I'm mainly going for smallies as most of my gear is towards that. Any suggestions as where to fish as in up the river or south of the launch? is it busy ie do I have to get there early to be able to park etc..?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. PMs welcome.

I've been waiting for a long time approx 2 years to try this river and its one of the reasons I upgraded from a 14ft boat.

Thx

Edited by Bigfisherman

The river (lower or upper) tends to lend to smaller smallmouth than either lake. With that said the bar that sit just into the lake is incredible for bass but this is mostly in US waters.

As far as things to watch for with a 16 footer I would say none unless you want to go to Devil's Hole and I wouldn't for bass. Stronger current the more you go up river and of course the opposite heading down river.

You will find MANY structural areas all along the Canadian side as well as the US for not only smallies but walleyes also.

Good Luck,

Bob

i fish that river all the time in my 14' with a 15 hp , but Like said dont head up river unless you have some HP you can fish the drift right infront of the boat launch right to the point where the river turns its a back drift where the current goes back up river great spot i got a 5lber there , the middle of the river at that point has some fast water and whirlpools that can open up out of no where depth in the middle is around 150ft or better , so stick to the closer to shore you'll see when you get there what i mean, its pretty cool but respect it , it can send you spinning like in a toilet bowl , now down river just about every point will hold fish i use the electric to slow the drift and bonce bait off bottom , there are a few calm corners you can fish as well and it does hold some decent size small mouth for sure and muskie

Also parking and launching shouldnt be a problem this time of year it seems funny but its busier in the winter time , I park at the bottom of the hill where it says no parking due to there has been some break Ins when you park in the top lot , in my eyes i'd rather pay the ticket, which i have never seen anyone get for parking down there but dont take my word on that its just a heads up

http://www.outdoorsniagara.com/Maps.htm

boatfishinginmay004.jpg

Edited by Wiser