Rice Lake 4th of July Weekend

diggyj

For the first weekend in July, I must say that the weather is still yet to be where everyone expects it to be. After getting up to the cottage on Friday afternoon, the wind was pretty strong and the waves were whipping up. I knew that this was going to be a busy weekend on Rice as the CSFL was having there 2 day tournament running. Normally the start from Bewdley but this year they started from Hastings. I thought that was cool as I never ventured to Bewdley to catch any tournament action. Friday nights sunset was nice as usual.

51491115.jpg

By diggyj, shot with DSC-W5 at 2009-07-05

Saturday morning was pretty cool and the wind was very strong and the waves where once again whipping up wth some small whitecaps. Just after 7am the first wave of boats came thundering through my area and then again 15 and 30 minutes later.

56318957.jpg

I can recall seeing one boat in particular get airborn and I thought it was going to flip.

I didn't venture out to fish on Saturday as fishing was tough due to the high winds and waves. This is what some of the anglers said when I talked to them from my dock. The ones I talked to said action was slow and some caught nothing to that point in time. I went for a drive to Hastings and saw all the boats in a line come in around 3 pm. Pretty cool sight but I forgot my camera.

Saturday nights sunset was nice but still didn't venture out. Casted my Clackin' Rap off my dock for a bit and managed to land a Rock Bass.

54566832.jpg

28885590.jpg

Finally made it out on Sunday morning for a couple of hours and the wind was still there but conditions were much better than on Saturday. Here are a few shots from some of the action. Asked a boat about day 1's leading weight and they said it was 19 lbs, WOW.

85863126.jpg

51044585.jpg

59686050.jpg

After being on the water for about an hour and a half, I decided to change over to a 5" Berkley Hollow Belly Split Tail Swimbait in the Arkansas Shiner Colour. I was casting in about 9 FOW and all of a sudden I get a hit but I miss it. I see the flash swim away slightly so I quickly pitch underhand to the same spot and as soon as it hits the water I see it just engulf the swimbait. Turns out to be a nice 17" Smallmouth that weighed in at 2.12 lbs. What made it more gratifying was the fact that there were 2 tournament boats right beside my and I was proud to catch something in front of them.

47030311.jpg

72354058.jpg

Capped the pre-lunch hours off with a couple of cold ones. Happy 4th of July.

88513086.jpg

Dirk.....

Two fisted drinking :o . Imagine if you caught a muskie, you'd have gone on a heroin binge!

Are you still catching any walleye Digs? Or do you not target them while the bass are in season?

Great photos!

Jim

Going after strictly bass! :P Land small ones occasionally.

Dirk