Thanks to all who "guided" me this week

here is a BIG THANK YOU to all who replied and shared their Experience and Knowledge with me on the topic I started called " top water lures- (what , when, why)" :clapping:

I went back out yesterday with my buddy and his canoe and was rewarded with this 23" smallie :D >

23inchsmallie60509.jpg

( click the pic to make it larger... you can then see where its tail was )

( note to self... set the camera to flash all the time... not much time to find my OFC 2009 sign/take the pic/ and get the fish back in the water B) )

The help on that particular thread guided me to do the following in regards to the top-water fishing for bass ( in no particular order):

1) wait, wait, wait ... and then set the hook( like that was "easy"-- NOT :blush: )

2) cast the lure out.... let it sit till the ripples stopped... retrieve with some erratic twitches ... let it sit again...

3) re-line my reel to 30lb Power Pro to cut through the weeds better

4) use a medium to medium/heavy 6-7ft rod to be able to pull the fish out of those damned weeds

5) Tie the line directly to the lure for better action ( got a little frustrated with the afternoon fishing and had a swivel on one of my lines though)

6) fish the edges of the weed beds where they end and the open water starts ( couldn't do this much with a canoe though, but this has opened up a whole new area for me to fish wherever I go now without a canoe :thumbsup_anim: )

In summary... the OFC site has been a real blessing for me, and my daughter botbot, in sharing all your experience and knowledge with this novice fisherman.

I hope to post more of my summer fishing experiences with this form of fishing...

(maybe even catch something bigger than this from yesterday too...... it hit the top water frog I was using :w00t: >>>

CIMG3322.jpg

Thanks again.

Splashhopper and botbot

PS.. I checked our team entries and we don't have a bass on there yet... so hey, for now at least, I have finally contributed to adding some inches to the team.

Edited by splashhopper

Those frogs are very territorial.... two of them came at my top water frog at the same time a few minutes later.... I started tossing the frog about a yard shorter, in the hopes that all their "natural commotion" might bring attention to another bass or two..

no such luck :lol:

splashhopper