DIY Knife Sheath

JohnF

The fillet knife thread reminded me of a trick we learned while diving for making knife sheaths.

Use nylon weave strapping material similar to seat belts or utility bag straps, double it over and sew up the sides. Put a loop on the back from the top down for a belt loop. You can get different thicknesses from stuff like seat belt material to the thick stiff stuff we used for weight belts. The webbing I use is 2" wide and when thick enough, it will clamp onto the knife to hold it even when I'm upside down in the water, so surely well enough to keep a belt knife or a fillet knife in.

If you want to use it for pliers or scissors you put a second flap on the front with velcro sewn onto the two parts.

If anybody wants to try it and needs more detail I can post pics of some of mine.

JF

Well I guess i'm buying the Henckels knife now. Thanks for making me spend my money...i'll think of you when the woman is whining at me for spending all this money on a knife :lol:

I live to serve. :D

JF

I found the material at Fabricland here in Stratford for $2/meter. It's lighter than I'd like but fine for knives. At least it'll be easier to sew. I'd probably go to a scuba store for some weight belt material for a slightly heavier gauge.

JF