Nipissing or Temagami

stan_133

A few friends and i are planning a little getaway to either lake Nipissing or Temagami in the middle of august. I'm just wondering if anyone could give me a few suggestions or preferences for either lake to help me decide which lake to choose. also is there lake trout in either or both of those lakes.

Temagami is probably best known for its lake trout. It has good small mouth, walleye and northern fishing. I like Tanar since it a boat in resort and farthest away from civilization. It also gives good access to Cross Lake if you want to go there.

what would you use for lake trout and i'll assume that in august there going to be deep down there correct?

I fish Temagami all the time...lakers are very easy ...with or with out a downrigger.

Steel line with a counter reel ..usually 60 feet or so down = 300 ft of steel.

I always use a red and white "canoe" or "#60 Williams" I switch the triple hook for a single and attach a white twister tail .

Ferguson Bay is really good in August... you may also find the 70' sand flats and use a 1oz jig dragged on bottom

with a 6" white tail tipped with a large shiner. the average laker is larger this way.

READ THE RULES ABOUT BAIT ON TEMAGAMI.. they are strictly enforced.

If you have a canoe at your disposal... there are tons of little lakes in the area than can easily be accessed by car and have good fishing.

Randy From Sturgeon.

:canadian:

Lakers in Temagami but not Nippising. I m a big Temagami fan

I have to disagree... there are Lakers in Nipissing.... a few are caught every year in commercial nets or through the ice... my father-in-law caught a 7 lb'er off of Frank's Point at the mouth of the French in July of 2006.

While I was a guide at Chaudiere Lodge on the Upper in 1995...one of our guests caught one off the dock

and knocked it out with a rock it weighed about 4lbs.. and so did the rock.

The MNR assumes that they come up from Georgian Bay into the lower French River and on up into the upper

french and into Nipissing.

REALLY NOT A SUSTAINABLE FISHERY....

Same as there are Atlantic Salmon in Nipissing but don't expect to catch one..

Randy From Sturgeon

:canadian:

The MNR assumes that they come up from Georgian Bay into the lower French River and on up into the upper

french and into Nipissing.

First I've ever heard of lake trout in Nipissing. How would they get past the Chaudiere Dam?

Edited by Jocko

whats the average depth of lake Temagami?

Actually average depth doesn't help you much. Temagami is deeper than Nipissing and has some good lake trout in it, but you probably won't catch those this time of year unless you're wire-lining or downrigging. Both lakes contain pike, pickerel and bass.

Lake Nipissing is MUCH more open than Temagami and consequently there's more chance that it will be rough, unless you're fishing the western end (West Arm, etc.)

If you decide to fish Temagami, stop in at Dad's Outdoor Store (can't miss it - look for the yellow sign across from the Shell station). I think he has maps, and he'll certainly be able to tell you more about the lake.

Both lakes are huge, so fishing depends on where you access them.