Need advise-4Hp (long shaft) on a Jon boat

motion

Hi guys. Just looking for some advise on using a long shaft 4Hp on a Jon boat. I have purchased a new 12ft Jon boat. I have this great (almost new) 4 Hp two stroke motor that I thought was perfect for the boat. The problem is that it is a 20" shaft and the Jon boat really should have a 15" shaft. The main purpose of the boat is for my son (and friends) to use in the canals of Lagoon City.

I have read that it can be used but it will "drag" and slow you down. I am trying to sell the motor but I hate to get rid of it as it is a great little motor and would prefer to use it. Have any of you had experience with using a longer shaft motor? Do you think it will be ok to kick the 12 ft boat around? He cant go very fast in the canals anyhow.

Your advise would be greatly appreciated. :D

Cheers.

It will work, I had a 4.5 long on a 15" transom 12' aluminum until I found a deal on a nice little 6hp short Merc. I didn't notice much trouble with the combo, maybe did drag a little and it did make a good rock finder as hit did hang 5" lower.

Use it until you find a replacement motor.

I thought it might work but I am trying to sell it. I would like the reight size motor if possible. As a last resort I may start with it on the boat until I can sell it. Thanks for your input.