When throwing a YUM product (or any plastic for that matter)...

rbaquial

Hey OFC'ers,

Just looking for some recommendations on what type of rod to use when throwing out some PLASTIC BAITS? (not the smaller stuff).

Stuff like YUM BUZZFROG, DINGER (7")... things that have some sort of significant weight to it? I was thinking of a MH Power rod that is designed to throw baits within

weight range of 3/8-1oz? Is that too much?

What about for the smaller stuff? smaller jerkshads?...

I was thinking for the smaller stuff to use a Medium Power rod that are designed to throw weights between 1/4 to 5/8oz?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what you guys use when throwing out plastic baits....

EDIT: Forgot to mention, these are being thrown on a BAITCAST SETUP...or should I be using a SPINNING SETUP?

Thanks in Advance!

RoB

Edited by A2F

For baitcasting or spinning gear, I like to throw with a 6'6" or 7' MH when using dingers(baitcast and spinning) and frogs(baitcast only). With senkos/dingers etc, you can likely get away with a medium action rod in open water with the hook texposed, but if you're working any sort of cover, the extra balls of a medium heavy are great. Likewise if you're chuckin' frogs into the slop, you'll want the extra power of a medium-heavy or even a heavy stick to bury the hook and horse them out.

Good luck out there,

Darcy

For weightless 4" and 5" Yum Dinger's /Senko's etc. I generally use a St.Croix Avid ML spinning rod with an extra fast tip. This rod shouldn't be confused with Chinese and Korean rods. It does have a soft tip, that let's me finesse the baits, but there's lots of grunt in the butt and mid-section when I need to put a lunker out of the weeds.

Senko's are quite heavy, 3'8 ounce, so they and seven inch Dinger's cast well on my level-wind outfits, as do frogs and toads.

What rod weight to use is a good question. There is no standard, so every company 's ratings are a little different. Recently I saw Rick Clunn, who has won four Bass Master's Classics, on TV. He commented that the Asian rod makers seemed to rate their rods about one level stiffer than US companies do. In other words an imported Med.Heavy would be called a Medium by an American company.

I don't know if you come up my way to fish, ... Jack's Lake area, Hwy#28, just north of Stoney Lake, ... but I have lots of different weight rods that you can try out if that would help you.

I fully admit to not knowing an awful lot when it comes to fishing, but I tend to pick my rods for the fish they will handle rather than the lures they throw.

Is this not right? (he asked rhetorically because he's not about to change)

Jim

Garry2r's is bang on with the American vs Japanese rods. The American counterparts are one level heavier in just about every instance I have encountered. As for the rod... I use a Medium heavy for almost all baitcast applications with soft plastics and vary the length depending on the conditions or what technique I am doing...ie.. skipping docks and trees...6'6"... long bombing frogs I like a 7'6" for extra casting distance.

As an all purpose rod I would say a 7'0" medium heavy rated 10-20 lb with fast or extra fast action and throw them on 50 lb braid if you are fishing heavy cover. Open water you can easily get away with 30 or 40 lb braid... in clear water you can always add a fluorocarbon leader.

Spinning set ups are awesome for skipping senkos and dingers either weedless or wacky... using a baitcasting set up to skip will take a bit of experience to master.

Good luck

JP