gonna try using a canoe

I went out on a kayak trip with one of the OFC guys here( name escapes me... sorry :o ) last summer on the Maitland river.

It was a very peaceful day on the river...only a few smallies were caught... but i learned a few things about the river.

i only got into a couple of small smallies.... but one of them pulled me right in to a bush... I had no way of stopping the kayak.

My questions about a canoe or a kayak are:

1) How the heck do I stop the boat when I get a fish on?

( can't imagine where a good sized trout or pike will pull me to ! :o

2) How do I secure the boat to the roof of my van and not get it stolen ?

Thanks

splashhopper

Answer to Question

1. Let the fish take Drag/You/ or anchor

2. What??? I dont understand. Do you mean when you store it at home and because you have no place you want it on your car permanently? Otherwise you take your chances unless you can loop a chain around the canoe somehow and lock to yout bumper.

Answer to Question

1. Let the fish take Drag/You/ or anchor

2. What??? I dont understand. Do you mean when you store it at home and because you have no place you want it on your car permanently? Otherwise you take your chances unless you can loop a chain around the canoe somehow and lock to yout bumper.

1: I was thinking an anchor as welll... just concerned about being pulled into some rapids on the river is all.

2) I stay at a friends place up in Walkerton sometimes and he has no place for me to put the canoe.. So yes, I am concerned about the canoe being stolen there.

There must be some way of securing a canoe to the roof racks on my Dodge Caravan :huh:

Thanks

splashhopper

On My Canoe at the Bow and Stern, there is a Metal Plate that attaches a cord to it. You can rig a Light Chain or SWR Cable that will Lock, or go through the Rope Tie on the Canoe. Lock the other end around your Bumper or tow Point of your Car. When your car is sitting the Idle. Ive caught big Musky in a Canoe, and as long as you got Drag, dont worry. You can also set the rod down with Drag and Canoe out of Danger then play the fish. Otherwise, whats more important.

Edited by holdfast

First answer, you don't stop them from pulling you around, that's half the fun. We yakfishers call it "going for a sleigh ride".

For security I have a nylon coated cable that has a loop at one end and a ball on the other. You loop it through your yak wherever you can, put the ball through the loop and hang the cable end with the ball on it so it is inside your car when you lock your door. They make them for whitewater kayaks but they work on others as well. This way you don't need a lock. Nomad is hosting a river run later this summer. If anyone is interested check out Yakfisher.net.

First answer, you don't stop them from pulling you around, that's half the fun. We yakfishers call it "going for a sleigh ride".

For security I have a nylon coated cable that has a loop at one end and a ball on the other. You loop it through your yak wherever you can, put the ball through the loop and hang the cable end with the ball on it so it is inside your car when you lock your door. They make them for whitewater kayaks but they work on others as well. This way you don't need a lock. Nomad is hosting a river run later this summer. If anyone is interested check out Yakfisher.net.

that is a pretty simple lock idea.... sounds like it will work too.

thanks

That Ball Idea sounds really good. Umf , no need for padlocks

I'll take a pic of my security cable next time I have the kayak on. I bought it at a canoe & kayak store in Bracebridge, Muskoka Outfitters, but I'm sure many places stock these.

Yea I wouldnt mind seeing that setup. Thanks.