Honda 7.5hp runs with choke out

desship

Hooked up my kicker motor.Did not use last year ,started motor with choke on ran it all afternoon but as soon as I push choke in motor revs up then dies out.It is a 82 honda with steel tank always ran great.I have plastic tank and I figure I will replace gas line and bulb and use it. Any other suggestions out there . :wallbash:

Hooked up my kicker motor.Did not use last year ,started motor with choke on ran it all afternoon but as soon as I push choke in motor revs up then dies out.It is a 82 honda with steel tank always ran great.I have plastic tank and I figure I will replace gas line and bulb and use it. Any other suggestions out there . :wallbash:

Check the relief valve in the gas cap or conversely the pressure retainer (dunno what yer tank uses). Tighten the adjuster needles in and back out to the same spot (count the turns). Check screen or filter from tank to carb for blockage.

I don't have an outboard but those are the first things I'd check on my lawnmower or blower. Fuel shortage is usually pretty easy to isolate.

But wait for Cliff. He's the small engine guy here.

JF

Edited by JohnF

If it runs OK with the choke on but not off it's not getting enough fuel.

Most likely culprit is a gummed up carb. Run some Sea Foam to your fuel and go run it.

If this doesn't solve the issue a carb rebuild may be in order.

It could also be a fuel pump problem, but I would check the carb first.

Edited by DRIFTER_016