Minnows - Catch or buy

I enjoy using minnows from time to time, but they seem to be hard to find, transport, etc. sometimes. Especially when camping for 3 or 4 days, how do you keep them alive?

I have thought about catching my own with a minnow trap. Is it easy? What do you use for bait? Anywhere specific to put the trap?

Thanks.

That can be the simplest easiest way sometimes. Just throw in a couple pieces of bread or some dog food and toss in the lake, preferably close to shore, not too close though. Check regs though...there are limitations to the amount...i think its no more than 12 dozen maybe...could be wrong though. Leave it for the night and get it the next day...usually it will be loaded with enough for a summer

aerator, or cycle water through. If you have access to a small sheltered creek, find the insdie of washing machine or dryer, put it in the creek and then the minnows in there...they stay alive there, make sure you cover it though.

if you're taking them home, you'll need to use some sort of powered aeration device. They need high oxygen levels. If they don't have anything like an air pump or a small filter (aquarium), then they'll die.

if you're camping like you suggested in your first post, you can just pick up one of those minnow buckets at a local bait and tackle store. they allow for fresh water to continuously flow into the container keeping them alive.

you DON'T have to feed them if you're keeping them for a few days.