Scugog (BOG) update

young_one

My father and I have been fishing quite abit of Scugog lately.

Few nights ago we stayed on the lake for quite abit and realize the crappie bite was HOT arnd 10pm or so. (when its completely dark)

VERY CLOSE TO SHORE. Slip bobber 1 1/2 ' with a live minnow.

There were only big fish caught, 9"+ crappies and there's also big sun fish in the mix! You might even catch an occasional walleye while slip bobering.

FYI: all the crappies I caught have not spawn yet, so I believe they should be tight in groups

REMEMBER TO BE SAFE fishing at night time, always have your nav lights on!

As for the Walleye, we didn't really find a consistent pattern. Most of my fish were caught during dusk, trolling sml olive Xrap and Rapala JR.

We are new to this lake and I see almost everyone is using bukctail jigs to pull arnd the weeds. It is definitely something for me to pick up quickly.

Feel free to share tactics and tips, there's always something we need to learn about fishing, especailly at BOG.

Thanks for the report... and for the information. I don't know how many people on the board fish for crappie, but its quickly become one of my favorite fish to catch.

My first introduction to crappie came from catching them at night while fishing for anything that bites with a white plastic twister tail. I didn't know what these fish were I kept catching, they looked like a deformed bass, I realized soon after they were crappie.

Now, after the spawn the crappie don't school as tightly. They are not as concentrated (relative to ice-out and spawn). However, the BEST time to catch them as the temperatures warm up is at night right on shores.

Big crappie later into the season (now and later) are more solitary creatures than early on in the season, often cruising shorelines and docks. In fact, the second occasion I ever caught a crappie, it was at night off a dock at a trailer park near LoveSick Lake, and it literally cruised into about 1 foot of water, I visually sighted it. It was caught on a 3" pink sparkly twister tail worm, the same one my friend caught a 5pnd bass on first time he ever fished :)

Big crappie hunt shorelines at night, FACT, and your report backs this up further. Haven't hit up the BOG yet this season, I will try to hit it up at least once, I don't know if I can kick the Kawartha habit though, it's quite addictive!

Anyone else here love catching crappie? I know our Southern Neighbors love crappie and panfish in general more than we do. The cottage I was at this last weekend on Stoney, a group comes in with two full buckets of panfish. I thought I caught a nice crappie at 13", their's was even HUGER!!! Around 15", what a beast :) STONEY BABY

Edited by Bass Killer

What's your secret?! Haha!

I can't seem to be on top of the schools. We drift around clsoe to shore but are only able to locate isolated individual fish.

If you're fishing at night, the crappie will be solitary most of the time, typically experienced hunters...