Murky River Wader (Advice)

oates

Hi all,

went to my fav spot on the Grand (mostly 2-3 ft of water, pockets and pools of 5-7 ft), was a real good walleye spot (rarely got anything else there last year), went out for the first time this year, Bass popping all over the place (out of season though), I wasn't having any success so I put on a Rapala top water and wasn't even watching when a small mouth bass jumped up and snagged it in 2 ft of water. I seen Walleye, popping up here and there, seemingly doung 360's where there were some minnows.

My question is, the water is murkey and flowing (gently), when usuing lures (rapalas), they often get covered in green moss like stuff and it wrecks the cast, I wanted to know what would be a good alternative, I was thinking of Jiggy with a tail on the end, is jigging realistic when wading or is this only from a boat? I tried to drop a line down with a a worm but the flowing water downstream keeps everything moving. What about drop shotting?

Just trying to find an alternative to using crankbait, I will catch 2-3 fish over 5-6 hrs but I figure there are other methods which will yield more success. Any advice appreciated.

Also, is it just me or do Bass seem more active this year than last? I heard from some people, the rains in July etc. made the waters cold and Bass inactive?

Thanks guys

Dont advise you use a top water , as It would be hard to explain to a CO that you were not after out of season bass and were really trying to catch walleyes on a popper. Try a jig with a twister tail type bait in a bright colour and maybe a piece of worm to add a little scent or maybe a rattle type bait but stay away from the top waters untill bass opens .

ok thanks, I guess that also means Walleye never go after topwater lures.

Appreciate feedback, will try Jig mentioned

We were throwing topwaters for Pike on Saturday. They go for twitched stick minnows big time. We lose a lot of smallish Rapala minnows to Pike biteoffs. It occurred to me that we might have to be pretty convincing if the CO showed up.

JF

• 1 month later...

Just and update.

Water has gotten more murky, I'm confused - I thought only Rains and Windy conditions affect the clarity of the water - it hasn't been raining but as the summer goes on, it is getting murkier, last fall, as time passed it became crystal clear and I hit 5 walleye in about 40 mins!

So I'm missing something, does the summer have something to do with it, it is a muddy base small rocks in some parts. I feel that fish can't see my lures or white chomper worms (tasty garlic salt flavour - actually is smells like crap). I guess I should just give up on the area till fall?

Just and update.

Water has gotten more murky, I'm confused - I thought only Rains and Windy conditions affect the clarity of the water - it hasn't been raining but as the summer goes on, it is getting murkier, last fall, as time passed it became crystal clear and I hit 5 walleye in about 40 mins!

So I'm missing something, does the summer have something to do with it, it is a muddy base small rocks in some parts. I feel that fish can't see my lures or white chomper worms (tasty garlic salt flavour - actually is smells like crap). I guess I should just give up on the area till fall?

In slow moving water it might be some kind of algae bloom, or carp stirring it up. You'd be surprised at what fish can see in cloudy water.

JF

Thanks, might be something to do with Algea, as the water is low and not moving fast but still cloudy anyway. In terms of crankbaits

I have

Storm Chug bug (does well at sunset)

few X-Raps (nothing caught on it)

Sinkables (large rattle, caught a few things with it)

I might have to expand my exploration of the Grand, go earlier, walk farther.

Appreciate all the feedback, when I have the bass slamming the lures, I will let you guys know!