Advice on Lake Tomiko

Smed

My friends and I rented a cottage on Lake Tomiko a couple weekends from now, has anyone fished there recently, has in the past, or knows any info on this lake as I have never been there before. I know there are mainly walleye there with the very odd pike, but are there any panfish, etc around, is the fishing decent, is it a deep lake and do the walleyes have much size or should I be sticking to the same minnows I use for perch. None of this will affect whether or not I go because we are going for the fun of it anyways, but I am the only real fisherman in the group and would like to know how to outfit my party in order to get them onto at least limited success.

Thnx in advance,

Smed

Fished the lake a few years ago early in the ice season from Okimot Lodge. Was a great time, but the fishing was tough to put it kindly. 8 of us for the weekend were skunked on Tomiko, not even a hit. Better chance of a little action if you fish the other small lake attached to it, forget the name. Pike are more predominant in there, and at least the perch are a little more cooperative if you can find them. Good luck!

Damn thats a bad buzz I am not quite as pumped anymore but oh well I just need to bring a few more beers, hopefully I can defy the odds and at least catch something, I'm sure it will still be a good time. Ill post my results when I get back.

Thnx,

Smed

I have been there for the opener. Sometimes it is good. If you fish the mud flats off the river mouth (river is a sanctuary) you can do fairly well for the small spawned out males. I actually got a 31" Walleye there four years ago on my first trip there...it was released to swim again. There is also a back lake you can get them to take you into that is teaming with pike. Good luck. So the river mouth of tomiko river might be a good place to try around in the winter it is a fairly slow river so you shouldn't have to worry to much about the ice