American friend looking for trip ideas for him and son

Hi Everyone:

I have an American friend who wants to take his 12-year-old son on his first "away" fishing trip. They live in Vermont, and are looking for something no further than 10-12 hours away from where they live.

The setting and type of fishing he's looking for is as follows (from an email he sent me) "I'm looking for a backwoods resort/lodge on an relatively undeveloped lake or chain of lakes that has good fishing for a mix of fish, be they pike, bass, walleye or trout. Ideally within a 10-12 hour drive of northern Vermont." He didn't say, but I assume they'd probably want to rent a boat while there.

For bearings and to give you all a frame of reference to suggest places, where he lives in Vermont is about:

5-hours from Ottawa

5-hours from Kingston

6-hours from Pembroke

7-hours from Peterborough

7-hours from Bancroft

So - as you can see, a large swatch of eastern Ontario is within striking distance for him and his son. I'd love to see them experience a great one-on-one father-son fishing trip in the "wilds" of Ontario .... Can anyone recommend something that might be a good fit?

Thanks all. I know the wealth of knowledge on this board will result in some great ideas.

Your friend might want to look at this place-

http://www.virtualnorth.com/tumblehome/

I stayed there once and the owners were very helpful and the accomodations quite nice.

The lake has almost no development on it so it feels more remote than it is and it's a fairly large lake with a good variety of fish.

It located about an hour or so north of Kingston.

Your friend might want to look at this place-

http://www.virtualnorth.com/tumblehome/

I stayed there once and the owners were very helpful and the accomodations quite nice.

The lake has almost no development on it so it feels more remote than it is and it's a fairly large lake with a good variety of fish.

It located about an hour or so north of Kingston.

Wow -- hard to believe lakes so close to Kingston can still be so undeveloped. Thank God for Crown Land! This place looks exactly like what my friend would like. Thanks for the suggestion.

I would suggest Lac Nilgaut - its about 2 hours from Ottawa very remote, about an hour of the drive is down a 1 lane dirt road. The only things on the lake are the cabins at the camp. Reasonable prices and great lake trout and pike fishing. Only problem is you wont find very much info online for it.