Minn Kota Autopilot

scugpg

Hi all - I'm upgrading my Minn Kota powerdrive and I'm wondering if I should consider getting the autopilot feature on my next powerdrive (or Terrova). How do you guys like the autopilot on the powerdrives? I have the co-pilot already and love it but wondered if the autopilot is something to really consider as well.

thanks - scugog

I really liked the autopilot on my minnkota when I had it as it made operating the boat so much easier when it was just myself on board. It tracked a line with no problems and made it easier to hold along structure lines while I was actually fishing.

When I get my next boat, I will definitely get both (autopilot and co-pilot) when I buy the trolling motor.

One thing I found was that the Universal Sonar was not very good.

Hope this helps.

Bill

I love the auto pilot. My big motor doesn't troll down slow enough. So I use the bow mount. I forgot about the auto feature and was constantly playing with the pedal. Then I remembered and set it and forget it. I trolled for about an hour on auto while sitting with my feet up. Life was great.

I love the auto pilot feature. I find it steers very nicely, not jerky at all. Only time I have had any issues at all is on Lake Erie in large waves it can get confused the odd time, you just need to stop it face it in the right direction and turn it back on.

Do you guys find in Autopilot does it steer smoothly (in small increments?) or is it have larger adjustments and go back and forth.

I noticed the co-pilot steers way better than the Powerdrive pedal.

The auto is way smoother than the pedal. It moves in tiny increments instead of over shooting like I do manually. I'll lean it this summer, hopefully? I had the wind blow me sideways off couse once. All I had to do was manually steer where I wanted to go and it readjusted itself. No need to get out of the chair and turn it off. Just steer to where you want to go. I find I steer much better with my hands. Maybe I should try holding my fishing rod with my toes?