Opening Day Trouting

Mike Pike

It's Opening Day and a buddy and I hit an Erie trib for some resident Brownies. It's become a tradition with us and I was anxious to get to our stream before sunrise. Typically, the best bite is right around sunrise and then slows quickly as the morning wears on.

Trudging though the bush and stumbling in the night, we arrive at the stream and start pitching our dewies into the dark.

For all the others who were out today, you know how warm it was. What a morning! We were surrounded by wild turkeys as we listened to them calling all around us. Woodpeckers were heard pounding on trees. Geese were paired up and honking. Gotta love springtime!

Here's my buddy Dave 'blending in' to the surroundings and dunking dewies. Even in the spring, the banks are pretty overgrown here, and there are very few spots you can successufully toss and retreve spinners, etc.

med_gallery_35_549_4335.jpg

I got the first Brown of the morning by just pitching the worm into a small pool caused by a bend in the river and just letting it sit.

med_gallery_35_549_75564.jpg

As the sun came up, we got our bearings and we could see that the water only had about a foot visibility max. Hopefully this could keep the trout active thoughout the morning.

med_gallery_35_549_88764.jpg

3 trout in total came out of this one hole alone, and when the browns weren't biting, the chubs and suckers kept things interesting for us.

After a brief break and some general fishing scuttlebut, my buddy have to leave at about mid-morning. I stayed to try tempt a few more fish and I was glad to find they were still active.

med_gallery_35_549_28479.jpg

This was probably the day's biggest fish and a real beauty at about 14-inches or so.

med_gallery_35_549_26161.jpg

I can't remember my exact count but I'm pretty sure the morning's total was 9 or 10 browns. I DO know how many I kept for the table, though, to enjoy later and remind me of this great day on the stream!

med_gallery_35_549_73112.jpg

Great report and pics Mike Pike :thumbsup_anim:

This is one species that I never targeted and will have to make it on the to do list at some point.

Congratulations to both of you on landing those beautiful browns :clapping:

Thanks for sharing

Leechman