Where to go

duxbware

Hello everyone,

we are planning a fishing trip to the North in the end of June and I was looking for suggestions on where to go. I want to fish for walleye pike and bass. We will have a 16 foot boat and are willing to drive max 12 hours from Toronto. Any suggestions of lodges or resorts

Todd.

Well Todd, no need to go that far for that combo of fish..

3 1/2 hours north on Hwy. 11 is a nice big lake called Nipissing.

There you will find, Pike, Walleye, Muskie, Bass, Crappie, Whitefish and Perch.

It has nice lodging all along the south shore from Callander Bay to the French River...

Nipissing is my favorite lake in Ontario. Lake erie my second as it is my home lake.

But the Kawartha's has a multitude of lakes to catch the species you are looking for, and they are much closer...

Good Luck and Enjoy!!!

Nipper

Before you get to Nippissing you will pass through the Perry Sound area where there are several large lakes, like Lake Joseph, Lake Rosseau and Lake Muskoka as well as the whole Massasauga Park area around the islands of Georgian Bay.

Closer to home, if you look around the Bancroft area, Baptiste Lake or Elephant Lake are big water with Pike, Musky, Walleye, Lakers and Bass. I figure they are about three hours from Toronto.

An hour closer are the Kawarthas, where you will find more Musky than Pike but lots of Walleye and Bass.

Still closer is Lake Simcoe, I will leave it to someone from Barrie to talk about the opportunities over there.

Out-east there is The Bay of Quinte, world class Walleye and Bass fishing and I'm sure there's Pike and Musky too.

To your south the Niagara River and Lake Erie have world class Musky, Bass and Walleye fishing as does Lake St.Clair to the south west.

One other thing you might want to think about...

It will be a lot warmer and there will be a lot less blood sucking bugs around Erie and St.Clair at the end of June than anywhere north of Toronto.

Edited by garry2rs

Thanks for the reply guys. Part of the trip was the drive North. I love taking it easy and getting away from it all. I will be hitting Simcoe and the BOQ this year. Fished Nipissing this winter...very slow I am sure it is different in the summer, just looking for lodges North:)

Todd

Thanks for the reply guys. Part of the trip was the drive North. I love taking it easy and getting away from it all. I will be hitting Simcoe and the BOQ this year. Fished Nipissing this winter...very slow I am sure it is different in the summer, just looking for lodges North:)

Todd

If you want to drive farther probably Shining Tree/Gowganda is a good area. Not sure of what camps are there but

have seen good reports over the years from the area. Seems like walleye and pike are quite abundant up there.

Here is a link going on now, or just use search function.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31009

I stayed at Tamar on Temagami for two weeks in each of the past 3 years and enjoyed it very much. Might get back this year if we are not in the middle of a move. Walleyes can be a little tough in the daytime because of the very clear water, pike are not super plentiful but the size is great from them eating all of those oily trout. The bass fishing was very good. It is a boat in resort. The cabins are comfortable, the shower hot and the in cabin toilets flush. Much better than average docks that are well protected.

If your looking for a great drive to lake that is uncrowded, and true North wilderness. Try Lake Kipawa.

The Lake is massive, but has so many little arms and bays there's always places to fish no matter what the weather.

It is an hr drive North East of North Bay, just inside the Quebec border.

There are lots of outfitters there who offer, a variety of different accomodations and packages.

Lots of Walleye, Giant Pike to 30 Lbs and Lake Trout.

GL MIKE

Zec_Pike.jpg