Single or Double Bladed Spinners

Andy

It seems like lots of lure makers are now putting out double bladed spinners, mainly for pike and musky, but some in smaller sizes as well. Some of the big names in the double bladed spinner business seem to be Musky Mayhem, Llungen, and even Blue Fox recently. (Double Cowgirl, Showgirl, Double Showgirl, Llungen Tale, DC8, 9, and 10, etc.) Even Bass Pro now has their own line of doubles.

Do you prefer one over the other, or is it just a gimmick? I've never really fished with a double, and I don't want to buy too many of both types, as they can be a little pricey. Or does it really just depend on how high and fast you want to run them? In my limited experience (tossing them in the pool), the doubles actually seem to run with less vibration, I assume because the shaft is balanced with two blades as opposed to just one.

Thoughts? Andy

Back in 2003 I interlocked two clevises to create a double bladed Bucktail.

I liked the look, but I can't say they caught any extra fish.

They did catch a couple of fishermen, but had to throw them back...wallets were to thin..hahaha

I agree- the doubles feel much smoother on the retrieve. I have made several double bladed spinnerbaits however and had success on Musky, and they are raving about the DC-10's etc for big ski south of the border. Must be something to them but I think I prefer the 'thrum' of an unbalanced shaft.