Some experimenting today...

danc

It's been weeks since I've been out with the camera. I've been working a very rare midnight shift and generally I sleep all day. With the long weekend upon us, I've somehow managed to get to see the light of day, which I'll pay for Sunday night when I go back to working midnights. It's been a beautiful weekend weather wise (+10C), so I went for a drive with the camera to try out a couple of new things. Firstly, I wanted to try to capture some BIFs, or birds in flight. I wanted to test the fast focus and lack of shutter lag on my new SLR. Secondly, I wanted to shoot in RAW mode and try my hand at RAW development. Something that is totally new to me. Both went extremely well. It was a bright sunny day so I had the luxury of a fast shutter speed at a low ISO setting. And the RAW development just blew away any jpg photos that I took today as well. I had my camera set on jpg SHQ + RAW. So I was able to view the same photos in both formats. Unfortunately the only birds flying around today were Seagulls. I did see a few Canada Geese that were just sitting on the still frozen Lake Superior. And a few ducks flew by in the far distance. It's pretty much impossible to find any open water up here just yet, except for a few areas that have bubblers that keep the water open throughout the winter.

Anyways, here's a few of my favorites from today.

forweb3.jpg

forweb1.jpg

forweb2.jpg

forweb4.jpg