Fort Pierce man accused of hitting boater in head with fish

Spiel

Fort Pierce man accused of hitting boater in head with fish

Sunday, April 5, 2009 / www.tcpalm.com

FORT PIERCE — A 39-year-old Fort Pierce man accused of hurling a fish from the North Bridge and allegedly hitting a boater on the head, faces felony and misdemeanor charges, according to an arrest affidavit from the Fort Pierce Police Department.

Richard Hughes Corley, of the 3200 block of South U.S. 1, was fishing on the North Bridge late Saturday and, along with several others on the bridge, asked a man to move his boat, the report said.

The man said he told the people on the bridge he was not going to move his boat. He then alleges he heard Corley say, “I will make him move his boat.”

The man and two witnesses told police Corley then threw a fish that hit the victim on the head before it fell into the boat. The fish appeared to be cut in half and was about 4 or 5 inches long.

The man and the others in the boat told police Corley then reeled the fish back out of the boat.

The boaters then called police and identified Corley as the fish hurler. The report said police drove the man to the bridge and he identified Corley as throwing the fish as did the two other witnesses.

The report said Corley told police, “I told them I was sorry I threw the fish.”

Police said they could not find the fish.

Corley faces a felony charge of throwing a missile into a vehicle and a misdemeanor battery charge.

He was released from the St. Lucie County Jail on $15,000 bond.