Casting deck conversions

Lunker777

Hey everyone

I want to put a casting deck in the boat that I end up buying. If it doesn't already have one.

I watched the video on you tube of all the Jon boat conversions and I saw some pretty awesome boats.

Who here had built there own casting decks or converted their small 14' or 16' aluminum boat ?

What kind of material did you find worked best ?

Also, what is the best method for painting an aluminum boat ? The one I looked at today is flaking REALLY bad so I will need to re-paint it !

Thanks

Here's help for painting your boat. Courtesy WFN

Painting directly to aluminum dose not work! You have to do a conversion coat first so your epoxy primer will have something to stick to. This is the steps to take as you are doing it so it will make it easier for you.

First strip the boat of old paint and then sand with180 grit paper. Once you are done that wash the hull with soap and water. After the hull dries use grease and wax remover such as enamel or lacquer thinner to wipe it down with.

Now use a tack rag to wipe all the dust off the hull. Now you are ready for the conversion coat!

The conversion coat is now sprayed on the entire hull. The product you spray is called vinyl wash primer. You can get this material at most UAP or NAPA dealers. It does not have to be a thick coat just so every thing is coated so the primer has something to bond with.

Once it is dry then spray your epoxy primer on. I would recommend two coats of high build primer so it helps hide any scratches that may be left to cover.

Now you can fine sand the primer and wipe the dust off ready for paint. I would recommend using concept paint for your finish coat! That is the paint I used to spray my boat with and it worked great.

The nice thing about it is ten years from now the color with still be the same. This paint will not fade out over time and if you have to touch something up in the future it makes it real easy.

I have to agree with ld 17 his method outlined is ideal for a marina application it what i would do if wanted the best long term results .

But ,I have in the past used a product that bonds to all metals and requires no primer at all .gets harder as it cures.

sounds to good to be true. Its called DTM oil base paint ( direct to metal ) benjamin moore paints sells it . about $ 60.00 a gallon .

any colour you want /industrial line can be rolled / sprayed hvlp or airless / cup . drys fast can be recoated in a couple hours .

have repainted 2 boats with it have yet to be diappointed even washes up with the power washer in the spring .

as a painting contrator for the past 25 years I can tell you prep is crucial don't short cut on a little elbow grease .

hope this helps you can alway buy a small quart of it test out wont be able to scratch it off with a chisel when it drys .

good luck .