Queenston Drift info...

musky66

Made it down to the Niagara today to scout the Queenston launch. Stopped off at Peter's in St. Catherine's for some tackle and tips- nice store and decent prices from what I saw. I think I got the basic set-up- main line to three way swivel,leader to the bait ( roe bag, egg sucking minnow, or kwickfish) and a drop line to a slinkee or pencil lead ( lightest line of all) Need to drift so the line is perpendicular or slightly upstream of boat. My real question is- where to drift? We are hoping to get out nice and early Monday morning, so we will watch the other boats, but since this will be our first trip down, I was hoping some of the river veterans could shed some light on the drifts near Queenston?

We usually do two drifts. For the first one, start right at the the launch, where the rocks jut out and go about 40 - 50 feet out into the river (don't go close to the shore or the shore anglers will knock you in the head with a lure, usually on purpose). Throw out the trolling motor and drop your line and the drift will take you down. Using the trolling motor to keep away from the shore or from going out too far into the whirlpools out deeper. Once you hit the end of the drift, generally near the ourpour (you'll see and hear it) the drift kicks you out into the whirlpools and middle of the river and you'll generally spin around. Motor up and head back to the beginning. Be prepared to tie up ALOT because you will snag ALOT. Pre tie some three ways if possible and have alot of pencil weights handy.

The other drift is at the end of the jet boat pier. Just start a bit past the end of the concrete (you can go in closer to shore there) and the drift will take you quite a ways down. Try closer in and further out. Its not so hectic there with eddy's and not as many shore fishermen either (not alot of places to stand).

Good luck.

Joey