NF - Ever Build a House?

congradulation on takin on this huge undertaking........it can be fun ...and very fustrating.....i do work for one of the top builders in the toronto area....they build homes from 300 a sq. and up.......first thing you want to do is decide whether a manage company or a gc is the route you wanna go....a management company usually charges anywhere from 10% to 20% of the total cost....a gc will give you a lump sum and then source subs from it.....i personally think a management company would be the route to go .....they will supply you with 3 quotes from trades they work with ...and you choose with whom you want to get the work done from....

you can build for as little as 100 a sq....that being the run of the mill standard subdivision house....with everything being bult to code but standard quality.....

but then comes the finishing of the house....thats where the big big bucks comes into play....

today i saw a 12k tub being installed with 4500 dollrs worth of faucets and taps.....so you see a budget is really the key for your home....

whomever you get to build your home you must be comfertable with....afterall it will take a good 6 months to a year to build a good quality home...and the builder will become a friend....or at least he should be by the end of the job...

make sure he will back his product for a few years at least.....i still go back to homes i did 5 yrs ago for some minor touch up and such...just makes good buisiness sense....

some builders will and do forget bout the client once he has been paid in full....some builders do stand behind their product....

sometimes saving a few bucks might bite ya in...... the long run

i guess homework is the key here......

ps....i know of a very good painter....lol...

anyways good luck on your adventure....wish you guys all the best

cheers peter