Questions from a newbie!

danjang

Hi everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself first! My name is Dan and I'm a bio undergrad at York. I'm a frequent reader I've casually fishing here and there up until last fall when I caught my first salmon. Now I'm kinda hooked! I'm going to attempt to catch my first steelhead tomorrow at Humber river. So I have a few questions about steelheading.

1. I have a spinning reel I used for salmon. Is it possible to float fish or bottom bounce with this reel? There is no way I can afford a centerpin at the moment. If not what other options do I have in terms of tackle. I don't mind buying some before I head down.

2. My second rod is a fly rod/reel I recently bought at the Sportsmen show. Am I limited to only floating lines or can I use a normal line?

3. I don't have a car and my range is limited by the TTC. Does anyone want to share any relatively accessible tribs for fly fishing?

Thanks

-Dan

Welcome to the board, Dan.

I'm at York too - undergrad at Schulich.

You should be able to get to the Rouge, below Highway 2 for now. There must be a bus that runs along Kingston Road.

I'm no expert on steelhead, but I'm sure the guys here can help you out with your gear questions.

Good luck.

Edited by ADB

Welcome danjang.

You can use regular fishing line with a fly rod and reel, but in most cases you won't be able to "cast" a fly. The weight of the fly line (there are many different types) is what loads the rod so that the fly can be cast.

People use regular lures (usually small ones) on fly rods, these don't need fly line to be cast since they have enough weight on their own.

That's a start, I'm sure many more of the collective will chip in as well.

I used to fish the Humber a lot after class (sometimes in between classes if I had a 6hr break). Smuggled my gear to class - Even wore my waders a few times too without anyone noticing :thumbsup_anim:

As for your questions:

1. Yes you can use a spinning reel for float fishing and bottom bouncing. In fact for newbies, I'd recommend starting off with one if you're most comfortable using it over a float reel. One of the most important keys to catching steelhead is knowing how to read water and understanding fish behaviour. A float rod + float reel won't do you much help if you're drifting unproductive water. You can still maintain a proper drift with a spinning reel.

2. I have friends who used to live up north by Lake Superior and fish the Superior tribs. They'd fill their fly reels with mono and use their fly rods. Their drifts were very short because of the uber-snaggy conditions and that combo worked for them. With that said, mono does wear through snake guides and IMO if you still want to use the fly rod (for whatever reason), I'd stick a spinning reel on it.

The Humber is a great place to fly fish. If you have waders, it really opens up a few holes not easily fished from shore. The river is wide enough to throw some monster casts without hooking trees behind you. 95% of the time you can get away with floating lines + a few small split shots crimped onto the leader to get the fly down. I always swung the fly but most people I see down there are either nymphing or dead drifting. All tactics work.

3 If you're stuck to using TTC (and don't want to transfer over to using GO, YRT, or Mississauga transit), Rouge and Humber are probably your best options...The Don is accessible by TTC but I personally have no experience there (not sure anyone here really does).

Hope this helps and welcome to the board

Edited by MJL

You can absolutely use spinning gear for float fishing! My Dad has been doing it for 40 years... LOL I've even seen him use a baitcaster before.

Are you talking fly line vs. regular fishing line or floating fly line vs. sinking fly line? You can get different fly lines...for a fly rod you'd be way better off getting a floating weight forward line. BPS sells a decent weight forward line for under $20. Just make sure to get the right weight for your rod. Sinking fly lines are harder to cast. If you're asking about using regular fishing line on a fly rod, I don't really see the benefit.

Edited by Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the welcomes and the help! Turns out I have a ride tomorrow to Port Hope so I won't be able to fish the Humber just yet but I can't wait to try. As for using regular line on a fly rod, I was asking because I figure since I have a second spool for my reel I could use some other type of line just to be flexible. I can't believe I can fit the rod in my backpack. I could fish anywhere anytime.