home energy audits and rebates

ch312

anyone else planning on getting one of these done before they do some improvements to their home? my cousin has been doing this for over a year and its surprising how much money the government will give you in rebates. i have all the information here and if you do the work yourself the government pays for most, if not all, of the improvements.

i'm expecting about $4500 in energy rebates for my little 950sq/ft shack after i complete foundation insulation, siding, adding attic insulation, and sealing are gaps. now is the time to get one done and complete any reno's! the government is offering a 15% rebate on all of your home renovation costs up to $1350 and home depot is giving gift cards worth 10% of your total cost (max of $1000) spent on building materials for those reno's.

with all of these incentives and rebates my reno's are pretty much FREE and add good value to my property. :D

It's a great program and remember you have to have the audit BEFORE you start your upgrades.

The only problem with the great program is actually getting your Rebate!

I did the Eco Energy Audit last year (A/C, Furnace, Attic insulation, doors, toilets) and while we should be getting close to $3K we have been waiting for the cheque since November 2008.

When we called to find out what the hold up was, apparently due to the popularity of the programme, they ran out of money to pay the rebates!

Funny how they demand immediate payment on things like income tax...yet are conveniently out of cash when it comes to paying out...it has to work both ways though right!

I'm not impressed...here is the link - http://ecoaction.gc.ca/ecoenergy-ecoenergi...0090226-eng.cfm

Tony

Edited by tonyb