hand held GPS question

kickingfrog

I assume your useing it for marking fishing holes(being a fishing site and all)

But if your useing it for hunting and exploring the wilderness or even new waters.....

Do your self a Big favor and keep alert, know your land marks and pack a compass too.

I've Heard a couple of close call stories with regards to malfunctioning GPS units, dead batteries etc...

They are a "fun & conveneince tool", but one should NEVER rely 100% on it to get yourself home.

One slip, and a broken GPS could leave you lost.

Common sence in the outdoors is not always common...I'm sure your a smart dude, but for safteys sake thought I'd mention it.

Cheers,

:canadian:

Well said, even your instructions will tell ya that it is only an aid to a map and compass.

Guest skeeter99

buy a lowrance unit IMO and they have waas also

superior to garmin/magellan

in order to load maps off of navionics chips it needs to be done through the settings

you cannot per say load the navionics map into your gps memory

it accesses the chip when needed

in lowrance units you need to go to map data in the menus and then select your map from the list that shows up in the drop down box

it is probably easier than signing onto this site LOL!!!

garmin and magellan are similar just different menu oprtions

and I saw a reply that WAAS about the satellites being close to the equator and cannot get them that is SOOOOOOOOOOOO!! incorrect WAAS is land based if you aint close to a WAAS tower guess what you dont get it !!!!! it bassically corrects yopur position better than the GPS system through the WAAS ground stations then sent up to the satellites and back to your gps for a more accurate reading, makes landing a 747 at night in a snowstorm a tad easier LOL!!

here is more info

WAAS uses a network of ground-based reference stations, in North America and Hawaii, to measure small variations in the GPS satellites' signals in the western hemisphere. Measurements from the reference stations are routed to master stations, which queue the received Deviation Correction (DC) and send the correction messages to geostationary WAAS satellites in a timely manner (at least every 5 seconds or better). Those satellites broadcast the correction messages back to Earth, where WAAS-enabled GPS receivers use the corrections while computing their positions to improve accuracy.

so basically if you are out in nowheresville idaho your gps will proably not be able to pick up a ground based WAAS tower