nippissing

love2fishhave2work

I did not get my 2 cents in before the last thread got shot down. I have been going to Nippissing for 8 straight years and think that it is the best body of water that I have ever been on. We do great every time, fish under regulations, limit on walleye and have a blast. Why all the fuss?

'

Nice to hear. :Gonefishing:

It's a slow year.

This happened a couple years ago with Scugog, except there's no native netting taking place there.. so everyone was up in arms over the crappie population ruining everything :rolleyes:

Sandybay says the water temps are basically shutting things down. I don't know where that info's coming from, but word is that the 'eyes are holding deep, which would make sense if that was the case.

Spawning assessment this spring will tell if the sky is really falling.

Agreed that the fishing is still very good up there. However, the comments made on that last thread, from all perspectives, are legitimate and should be considered. The nets are just slaughtering the walleyes and alot of other game fish that don't end up being harvested. The fishing was tougher just before the slot was imposed. The slot has done wonders restoring it back. We still get our limit of eaters but have been picking up bigger fish (9 pounder, some 7s and 5s and 6s). Before the slot, we had real trouble finding the bigger fish.

But, for publicity sake, let's just say the fishing sucks. May give me more water to fish.

They could always put money and/or effort into the HWY 64 Walleye Hatchery like a few of us here have.....

I have issues with the stocking. It doesn't address the problem. It's done with the best of intentions, but doing it on top of a healthy, naturally reproducing population is a big no-no.

They've been dumping fry and fingerlings into Nip for a very long time (it clicked into high gear a few years ago) and still nobody knows what it's doing.

There is no reason to stock lake nipissing it can produce lots of fish without it if it's managed properly. It will be interesting to see how the spring is, last spring was very good and there seemed to be lots of fish but got worse as the season went on and is bad now. I hope it's not as bad as it seems but I have my doubts. I've heard that even the netters are getting far fewer fish than they were earlier in the year and people have to call in to place their fish orders a couple days ahead of time where before they could just show up and buy them.

I'm from the bay and fish it fairly often and there is a decline since the netting become more apparent, the best thing for the lake, not the outfiters and guides and economy would be to shut the lake down completly or a couple years. and tear up that treaty from a few hundred years back at the same time! my grandfather caught as many fish as required to feed his mother and brothers and so did his neighbours yet i have a limit to follow! better not start a rant hahah

Matt!

If I recall correctly, there was a shooting incident near the mouth of the French over the cutting of nets. Aside from the conservation side, the other consequences of the current state of the law can be troubling too.

Bassman Marty and Crew

never my intention to insult any member of this wonderful community

healing words Maverick

if you have ever met me on-the-water--i am as white as those KKK sheets from olden tymes

grew up with Vancouver Salish-Reservation Rights---Yah we can fish dude

real well thank you for asking

Clearly not complaining here-or playing any race card

no need to disparage our skills at the fishin thang BassMAN

Peace

Go Fish

Paul

Have a

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

there's a myriad of factors that could contribute to a decline in fisheries. also, given that this is only one season that it's been slow, does not mean the population numbers have dropped by that much. i'd be more interested in longer term trends, like say 5 years or so...if the trend continues then it's worthy of looking into, but one slow winter on the big lake really doesn't demonstrate anything.f

finger pointing at one particular interest group is counter-productive and unrealistic. fisheries management decisions are made based on considerations of all user groups, not just recreational anglers.

there's a myriad of factors that could contribute to a decline in fisheries. also, given that this is only one season that it's been slow, does not mean the population numbers have dropped by that much. i'd be more interested in longer term trends, like say 5 years or so...if the trend continues then it's worthy of looking into, but one slow winter on the big lake really doesn't demonstrate anything.f

finger pointing at one particular interest group is counter-productive and unrealistic. fisheries management decisions are made based on considerations of all user groups, not just recreational anglers.

Nice post, couldn't agree more.