Temagami, Nip, Bernard, Muskoka

johnnyb

Laker Jessy and I had high hopes for our weekend of ice-fishing, and even though things didn’t go exactly as planned…we put on lots of kms, tried a few new spots and made some new friends.

Here’s a brief recap:

Day one – After sleeping in Muskoka on Saturday night, we hit Temagami early, and were in the Hub, near Ketch-un-eny lodge by about 9:30am. I drilled a pile of holes looking for some deep water, and settled on the edge of a 60 foot basin, in 40-50 FOW. The first sign of life was losing my entire spool of tip-up line down the hole – d’oh! Only had my back turned for a minute…. :wallbash:

Decided that moving Jessy and her Aqua-vu to that hole might help us see if we could spot any of the line down there. All we ended up discovering was the transition from a hard sandy bottom to a mucky bottom. About half an hour later, this 22 incher nailed my white tube tipped with a salted minnow!

n595006200_2565146_2566.jpg

We moved closer to a shoal for lunch, had a few small ones teasing the tip-up line, and that was it. Off we went to North Bay, where a hotel room and hot shower were just what the doctor ordered.

By morning of day two, Jess wasn’t feeling so hot, but, being the oh-so-wonderful wife that she is, she suggested I meet up with the guys who were taking us out on Nipissing, while she slept. :sleeping_02:

Out I went to enjoy a beautiful sunrise on Nip…. n595006200_2565143_1922.jpg and a couple small perch…and that was about it. The guys I met up with were a solid bunch though…and tried their best to get me onto my first winter walleye.

n595006200_2565144_2245.jpg

Picked Jessy up for noon, and by the time we were headed through Sundridge, she felt up for sampling the action on Lake Bernard. No fish…no pics. :whistling:

Finally, on a whim, we gave our friends who were staying at their parents cottage on Lake Muskoka a call. He has never been icefishing, and really wanted to try it, so when we pulled in, he was ready to go. I had no idea what depth we were at on the lake, so I picked a likely looking island, and we were rewarded with a perch double header. Not very big, but fish nonetheless. I was pleasantly surprised at the thrill of putting a newbie onto a fish, small as it was, and on a lake that I was going into blind.

All in all, it was a weekend spent enjoying gorgeous weather with my sweetie, and making new friends. Till next time….

n595006200_2565148_2902.jpg