Fishing area in Prince Edward County

Leeworthy

Hey everyone. I just bought a portable hut yesterday, and I am looking for an area to ice fish at. I was wondering if the spot just off the Massassauga Conservation area was solid enough to venture out on? I have only ever been ice fishing once, and I am looking to go for some Walleye. Any tips, tricks or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Dave

Welcome to our OFC Community Leeworthy.

I see this is your first post

We all try and help each other here, but it might be a good idea to introduce yourself if you're new to the board.

There can be current that's not visible creating soft/weak spots in the ice.

It can be dangerous if you don't keep up to date with ice conditions.

My suggestion would be to watch for other anglers and/or hut operators.

Talk to them about ice conditions and best places to put your hut before transporting it out there.

Almost forgot. Try using small spoons like a Swedish Pimple, tipped with a minnow or plain, jigged near bottom.

Jigheads with minnows or soft plastics should work good too. Bounce them off the bottom very slowly.

Good luck !

Edited by Carp

yeah man call the local bait shop or use an operator the first time out in an area where your not familar with. Safety first for sure on the ice. Often if you spend a little bit of coin at a bait shop they will be more then willing to give you some decent safe spots to get into fish. in soft water season i fish nipissing alot and if it wasnt for the bait shops in the area i would catch no where near the amount of fish i do now.

Cheers!

Cool thanks for the info and tips. I am going to try and get out tomorrow or this weekend.. Hopefully this snow doesnt slow any fishing down? Is it true, "winds from the east, fishing's the least?"

Any experienced guys from around the County want to take a newbie out for a day and show him the ropes?

Is it true, "winds from the east, fishing's the least?"

Definatly not...usually the weather simply isnt the most pleasent. But have had some great days with a east wind.

What part of the County are you from?

-Dave

I live near you, kinda.

Live in Madoc but work in and all around Belleville, Trenton, Nappanee, Kingston and sometimes Picton.

But I hate to say it, I don't do much ice fishing anymore.

Mainly just catch and release Musky now. Some bass fishing and trout streams.

I would do like some guys mentioned and hit or call the local guides or baitshops in the area.

They ALWAYS know whats what with ice, spots, and progress of other fishermen.

Good Luck and be safe out there...

PS:

If you like it out on the ice, I do have some nice ice fishing tackle and tools for sale.

I have a couple of Normark manual ice augers(8" & 10" diameter) for sale right now.

They are premium models and in great shape too.

Tell me if you're interested.

~Stan

[email protected]