giving back some time for the outdoors

jwl

As some of you may know from some of my posts and replies, I am a trustee on the executive committee for a local conservation club the Fort Erie Conservation Club. One of our annual programs there is to build wood duck nesting boxes. They are then taken out to various places in the area where there is good possible habitat, lots of forest, a good watershed, lots of other wildlife, and some areas where some of these ducks have been spotted over the years. They are put up around the conservation area property as well as some in hunting zones as well as some wooded ares in the no-fire zone as well. This is all to hopefully help promote wood duck reproduction in the area as something the club does toward wildlife and habitat enhancement every year.

Yesterday I got a call from my friend too see if I wanted to lend a hand going out and checking up on the boxes,see what we find along the way,clean them out,change the bedding inside, check on the general condition of the boxes and see if we need to put up any new ones or any additional boxes.

While this big cold snap kept many inside, we on the other hand,had to take advantage of the cold and the good solid ice on the creek areas so we could get out there and to the boxes. These areas are not easily accessible in the spring and summer as they are grown in super thick with lots of scurb and every wild plant with prickers on it possible :lol: , other areas are muddy swamp areas with a mosiquito population that rates right up there with the best outpost camp :w00t: This is the ideal time of year to do it while we know we have good solid first ice.

Here is a bit of an example of what we had to walk through along the way..this was carrying a ladder,some tools and a bag of bedding as well...would not have been such an easy task through the overgrowth and swamp if it where warm out.

351451187.jpg

You just never know WHOOOO might find one of these a comfy little home

351456111.jpg

Seems this one wasn't getting along well with the neighbour..he found out what the punch line was for .."knock-knock.....whooooo's there !!!! " You can see the poor little guy got a bit banged up and decided the house next door was more suitable but propbaly should keep a good eye on the neighbour

351456114.jpg

Speaking of squirrels, you can't quite make it out, but here is Dan at another box in the bush, he opens it up and something was moving inside right away!!!!, after like 10 seconds 2 squirrels come leaping right out practically on his head. After a good little laugh he pokes back around, ..ooops someone else is home..out leaps another, but wait still someone in there....after some more prodding around Dan finds another tail..this one didn't want to go...you can't see in the pic, but Dan is pulling one out by it's tail :P After the rude little evacuation all was put back together and thier little shack got a cleaning and a fresh new bed of wood chips. Couldn't believe 4 squirrels packed into there!!

351451188.jpg

Here is a bit better way to get around once we could get deeper into the bush and onto the frozen creek

351451257.jpg

Along the way we where surprized to find what decided to live in this bird box. Some wild mountain honey.

351451227.jpg

I guess after that point if we where lost and stranded in the cold woods we wouldn't have went hungry..mmmmm honey roasted squirrel :o

We where very happy to find a great sign in this box here

351451186.jpg

All in all it was a great wintery day to get out in the bush, do some exploring, and do a little bit to give back to the outdoors that I value so much. You can learn alot getting involved in different little wildlife/habitat enhancement projects. You get so see some great scenery and nature sights, I have learned of a few great fishing holes along the way as well that are not well known and all in all just get a great feeling when I can give something back to our resources.

Stay tuned throughout the year for a few more reports along the wya of different projects I am involved with..we will be hanging and cleaning some more duck boxes in the next while...spring is working with the MNR on a walleye tagging/rearing/stocking project, I will be helping with a pen rearing/imprinting project,I just got light of a grass pickeral study that may possibly help save a good wetland from developement, and after that will also be involved in a bird release as well....for a few years it has been ring neck pheasants as a "put and take" bird as they do not really do well in the wild from "farmed" stock..the genetics just isn't there. This year we are trying to see if we can obtain and release grey partridges or a simular bird.

I am looking forward to all the things I have coming up for the year :Gonefishing:

Edited by jwl

amazing, this is what all fishermen should be doing some time or another..... good work

thanks guys, you really can learn alot when out helping with some volunteer time on different outdoors projects. I have learned of some great places just to take a hike, some new fishing holes, some great areas for different game and such along the way the last few years. I have also learned alot more about wildlife habitat and restoration. I have also learned how to raise walleye from the ground up..right from collecting brood stock to stocking a designated area with the young fry...and have since seen and heard lots of great feedback as fruits of our labour in the process. :Gonefishing: