Need a good soup/stew recipe

Daplumma

OK, this is one that I don't usually share with anyone other than at our dinner table. The history is simple; we were out for dinner one evening at a "Fine Dining" place and one of the things on the menu was a "cream of garlic soup". Everyone that tried it loved it so I being me, decided "I can make this" (Famous last words)LOL.

Anyway, it took me a while but here is my version of it and I haven't had many complaints; I hope you enjoy:

Take 4 or 5 Buds (no not cloves) of garlic, peal off the outer (loose skin)

Cut off about 1/4 of an " off the top of the bud. (I save all the little pieces of garlic that I can out of the tops and throw them into the sauce pan later)

Place them upright in a baking dish and drizzle with about 2 tbs of olive oil over the tops. preheat oven to 350F and bake for about 1 hr until golden brown. Remove and let cool. When the garlic is cool enough to handle; press the individual garlic cloves between the thumb and finger to squeeze out the garlic.

In a large sauce pan: combine the garlic, 2 1/2 cups chicken broth and 1 cup of white wine. Bring it to a boil then reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes. Then stir in 2 1/2 cups whole milk, 1 cup heavy whipping cream, and 1/2 cup pealed and cubed potatoes (salt and pepper to taste) and simmer another 30 minutes.

Puree soup in a blender, return to sauce pan adjust salt and pepper, and simmer. Ladel into bowls and serve with buttered French bread.

Now, if you want the most decadent seafood chowder, just add about 1 cup small salid shrimp and 1 cup baby scalops after pureeing and just simmer long enough to JUST cook the scalops. (You could use any fish cut into cubes).

Enjoy!

You know that I have to try this one out bud.Tanx

Joe

Suds, that Michael Smith recipe was the one I have in the back of my mind when I make a stew - his instructions were exactly what I try for.

Thanks for the confidence vote, Joe. I hope it worked out well. If I don't have some fresh bread handy to serve along side, some egg noodles make a comforting companion. I bet the puff pastry added a nice crunch to the gravy. Now I'm hungry.