Any Home Heating experts?

mikeymikey

Hello.

Is there any home heating experts here ?

Recently I have replace the heater buy still kept the old mercury thermostat. Difference I am seeing from the old to new is that... before when I set the temperature to whatever I set, heater would keep on running until it reaches that temperature shown on the thermostat. I am sure these older thermostats can't exactly monitor the temperature but it is what I use.

Now with the new heater it seems to turn on and off way too often. Like every few minutes I guess.

Is this depending on the heater? or something have gone wrong with my old mercury style thermostat?

Does a properly working heaters turn on and off reguarly to maintain the temperature? or should it work like the way I explained before with my older heater? where it would run constantly upto certain temp and than turns on and off to maintain it?

I guess I would like to what/how a properly working heater should work.

My new furnace is a high effiecent 2 stage. When it's not too cold it comes on in small short bursts. This is supposed to save gas.

2 Stage requires a compatible thermostat for proper operation. So the Mercury switch has to go if it is 2 stage.

Guest skeeter99

yes the new efficient furnaces come on and off more often it seems but they are very very efficeint

get rid of the mercury thermostat and get a digital one it will come on less and the temperature variance will be less than have a degree compared to a mercury swith that can be off as far as 2 to 4 degrees off

and remeber close the heat register closest to the thermostat unless it is greater the 15 feet away from the thermostat

this will make your unit come on and off kinda wacky cause the heat register will turn off the furnace quickly without warming the space and then cools quicker and furnaces comes on again to soon

I had the same problem when I put a new furnace in the cottage. The "heat anticipator" needs to be adjusted to fit the new furnace. I did use the old thermostat but I would recomend a new digital one. You can adjust the anticipator by taking the cover off the thermostat and turning the dial until the furnace runs longer and warms the house properly. Do a google search on "furnace heat anticipator" and you can find a site that explains it better than I. Aslo I don't think that your new furnace is a 2 stage unit. I hope I'm wrong on that.

Good Luck, hope this helps some.

Mike

I had the same problem when I put a new furnace in the cottage. The "heat anticipator" needs to be adjusted to fit the new furnace. I did use the old thermostat but I would recomend a new digital one. You can adjust the anticipator by taking the cover off the thermostat and turning the dial until the furnace runs longer and warms the house properly. Do a google search on "furnace heat anticipator" and you can find a site that explains it better than I. Aslo I don't think that your new furnace is a 2 stage unit. I hope I'm wrong on that.

Good Luck, hope this helps some.

Mike

Ding ding ding you are correct ,sir.The anticipator setting should be in the spec sheet for the furnace.You can also figure it out using an amprobe and some t-stat wire.

Joe