st croix warranty/service

ctdd2006

Anybody have any experience with St Croix service? In a silly drunken moment a buddy of mine broke off the tip 2 guides down on my fave 1 pc 6ft st croix and I recently stumbled upon this ( see below) waranty offer. I paid about 200 after taxes for it and am obviously (due to the circumstances) going to opt for the "gold" option. Any comments? The way I see it, it'll probably cost me 100 after shipping and exchange to have it replaced! Sounds good to me. Am I missing something?

ps. for cdn customers they have a canadian depot you can ship it to!

SILVER STAR SERVICE PLAN

The fact that you’re reading this probably means you’ve got a damaged rod. Rest assured that our goal is to get you fishing with it again as soon as possible. Now, if you’re convinced that our error led to its demise and you know the warranty has not expired, then our Silver Star Plan is your best solution. Here’s how it works.

1. Write a note explaining the problem. Send the note, a check for $20* and your entire rod to St. Croix. We suggest using our Discount Shipping Program, which is described elsewhere on this page.

2. If your rod was damaged due to faulty workmanship, then of course we will cover the cost of the repair or replacement during the warranty period.

3. However, if evidence indicates that the damage is due to an accident, normal wear or neglect, then we’ll advise you of the additional cost to repair or replace your rod.

* The $20 charge applies to USA and Canadian customers, only. The charge for shipments to all other countries is $30.

Acceptable methods of payment include personal check (drawn on a USA bank account) and credit card (VISA, MC, American Express, Discover).

GOLD STAR SERVICE PLAN

Ahh..but what if you’re not registered as the original owner of the rod. Or your buddy stepped on your rod, or slammed it in a car door, or worse yet, used it to free a snag. No worries. St. Croix’s Gold Star Plan eliminates the uncertainty of a dubious warranty claim. Here’s what to do.

1. Return your damaged rod to St. Croix. Use our Discount Shipping Program to save money.

2. Include a note requesting our Gold Star Service, along with a check for $50 to cover the repair or replacement of your rod. Our Technician will determine whether to repair or replace your rod keeping in mind we’ll only repair it if we can make it perform like new.

3. That’s all there is to it. And there’s no additional s&h charge for customers in the USA. Canadian customers must pay an additional $20 for s, and all other International customers must pay an additional $30 for s&h.

I'm in the same boat - I just have to pick up a shipping tube. I chatted with them and you can just give them your phone number in a note and they'll call you to get a credit card number (otherwise you have to have a cheque drawn on a US bank). The canadian drop off spot is in missisauga too so if you're in the area you can just drop it off and not pay any shipping to get it to them which is cool. Hopefully I can follow up with a good story once I get around to shipping it in (at least it happened at the end of the season).

You can get around the shipping if you go to a st croix dealer and are prepared to wait a bit until they get enough in to make a bigger shipment of 10 or so rods. then everyone splits the shipping through the dealer. dont say you broke it either. "it broke while you were fighting a fish"

Guest gbfisher

I've had good service with them. I broke two musky trolling rods .....trolling of course! I pointed out that the rod was not under warrantee but that the Rod broke just from trolling and where it broke was a defect in the rod itself. It broke at the Handle, both of them. :wacko: Long story short was that they offered me two more rods at half price. Instead of taking them, I opted to upgrade and take the two for one deal to which they agreed.