Fishing Rod Info

MCTFisher9120

Looking through various fishing rods online i have seen variations of graphite rods. Things such as rods that have 85 million modulus,70 million modulus, 50 million modulus, 45 million etc... Then i find rods that are IM6 graphite, IM 7 and IM8 graphite. I'm not sure of what these different aspects mean but i do know that when searching generally the higher the number the higher the price. Just a little lost on what exactly the "modulus and IM's are.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Modulus refers to the stiffness to weight ratio of the graphite that's used to create the rod blank. IM stands for Intermediate Modulus, and there is no set industry standard for IM ratings, but rather a range of modulus' which these ratings fall under. For instance, an IM6 blank from one manufacturer might be higher or lower modulus than one from another, but within reason. The higher the modulus of the graphite means you get more stiffness for the weight of the material. This allows the blanks to be made with a smaller diameter but achieve the same stiffness of a larger diameter blank, but weighing less. High modulus graphite tends to be more brittle, and that can result is cracks and fractures from jigheads and other heavy baits hitting the blank, resulting it failure. The process to create higher modulus graphite is apparently very costly, and as such, is passed on to us, the consumer.

Hope this helps,

Bryan

Modulus refers to the stiffness to weight ratio of the graphite that's used to create the rod blank. IM stands for Intermediate Modulus, and there is no set industry standard for IM ratings, but rather a range of modulus' which these ratings fall under. For instance, an IM6 blank from one manufacturer might be higher or lower modulus than one from another, but within reason. The higher the modulus of the graphite means you get more stiffness for the weight of the material. This allows the blanks to be made with a smaller diameter but achieve the same stiffness of a larger diameter blank, but weighing less. High modulus graphite tends to be more brittle, and that can result is cracks and fractures from jigheads and other heavy baits hitting the blank, resulting it failure. The process to create higher modulus graphite is apparently very costly, and as such, is passed on to us, the consumer.

Hope this helps,

Bryan

Interesting stuff, the rods i've been looking at have been various BPS rods like the Jonny Morris series, Bionic Blade, Extreme, tourny special rods etc...thanks for the info!

High the IM = higher the cost generally.

I have some IM6 BPSseries rods that treat me very well.

That said, one day while camping with friends and consuming a few er..beverages of choice I did snap the end off of one while running a jerkbait. My technique was a little sloppy and the end of the rod smacked a rock and exploded.

I in no way blame the rod for this failure, but it shows that the higher the IM and the stiffer the material the more brittle. I have an ugly stick that has smashed countless rocks and survived a unceremonius exit from the back of a truck at 60 km/h without any problems, but it weights ten pounds.

Choose your weapon carefully. If you are doing alot of shorefishing/bushwacking like I know you do, IM8/IM9 might not be the choice for you.

I have had good luck with the BPS Extreme series of rods...I own three.

The US price is $99.00, but all BPS rods regularly go on sale for 1/3 off!

Therefore, in my opinion, you should only be buying BPS rods when they are on sale!

The Extreme's are rated at 60 Million Modulus, which should make them about IM8...About the same as a Shimano Compre.

In fact I find them a little heavier in the hand than the Compre's of equal size...but they do cost a little less when on sale!!!

On the other hand, BPS rods only have a one year warranty, so if you break it after that, it's your tough luck.

My best advice would be...

Since Shimano Compre's run about the same price and carry a lifetime warranty, I would look at them first.

Garry2rs.

High the IM = higher the cost generally.

Choose your weapon carefully. If you are doing alot of shorefishing/bushwacking like I know you do, IM8/IM9 might not be the choice for you.

Im really considering a 7' Medium action BPS Extreme rod, and there a 60 million modulus rod witch will suit me just fine. Im guessing thats a IM8 rod. And as garry said they go on sale often, right now there on for $70. I just hope they stay on sale untill dec 26th....can't get anything untill after christmas.