Be safe people

bicephalic

Hey everyone,

With all the posts of great fall water fishing (and thinking back to how cold and wet we got on the last walleye trip), and with news I heard around the marina today, I just wanted to take a moment to remind everyone to be safe around the water this time of year and through the winter months.

As some of you know, the company I work for is situated at the Port Credit Harbour Marina, where among other things, they provide all year docking. Seems one of the live aboards for whatever reason ended up in Lake Ontario last night, and was fished out by two other boaters around 3am this morning with a very faint pulse. I heard shortly before I headed for home that he had past away this afternoon.

This isn't someone I knew, and doesn't directly affect me, but it still seems like a terrible waste when a life is lost around the water. No one knows why he ended up in the water, but if it happens in these temperatures, things can get serious in a hurry.

Obvioulsy none of the people here are going to stop soft water fishing until we're forced to by the ice, but please be safe people!

B

Thanks, 2Heads. Every year, there are always lots of scary reports by the survivors of tragedies, of folks who have improved the human gene pool by removing forever their contribution.

poop happens, but please plan as best you can for the worst. Planning for the worst on the water includes having backup power, motors, batteries, clothing, communication, food, fuel. Add ice picks and pfds, cell phones and gps, and common sense. We can all fish extra extra hard next time when faced with thin ice, zero viz, high wind chill, heavy snow, etc.

Please, it's a rare event that we lose one of us to the water and weather. I would like to see that losing one of is really just a spooky story, a myth. Stay smart, stay safe, friends.