Dang I Need Computer Help

PatB

Odd...MPU-401 Midi drivers are normally required if you are using external devices such as musical keyboards etc.... sounds like you have a 16bit audio card? Lemmie see what I can dig up... I will need the manufacturer of the sound card and its model number if possible. I also assume you have SP2 installed and all the latest updates?

Gerritt.

Edited by Gerritt

First thing I would do is definatly install SP2 not only could it fix the issues you are currently experiancing but your computers security is at risk. I would try that first install SP2 and ANY updates they tell you, you might need (Including Driver updates)

If you are still having sound card issues after you update Windows to Service Pack 2 let me know and I would be more then happy to troubleshoot them with you...

Good Luck!

Gerritt.

You could certainly install a second sound card, but before you do that, I would go through the drivers on the link I posted for you and make sure they are installed. As well, you should go into the device manager and right click on any of the unknown devices (ie. anything with the yellow exclaimation mark) and select Update Driver and let it automatically search through for a driver. Fortunately when drivers are installed, the info about them is more or less kept in a common spot on your hard drive and just because it hasn't been picked up, doesn't mean it won't be if you update the driver for an unknown device.

If you need more help, let me know. I know a little bit about this stuff.

Even better...

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

Goto that link and there is a button right in the middle to detect the model and such. It will give you access to every driver for your machine, and if you do infact have an integrated sound card, there will most definately be a link to the soundcard driver. If I am not mistaken, the modem and sound card are the same piece of hardware, so make sure you use the modem drivers provided by HP.