Building a rod - need help

Cudz

I have a 7'2 G-loomis blank. It is MH.

My question is this: Can I make it into either a casting rod or a spinning rod by just putting the spline to bottom or top?

in other words are there blanks specific for casting rods and blanks specific for spinning rods or can I just turn it and make whatever I want?

thanks

Sure you can make it either spinning or casting if you wish. For spinning, guides on the under side of the spine and casting on the top. Spacing for the casting set up would be a little different though. Just find a guide spacing chart online such as this one.

Thanks

I understand the eyes and the spacing. I just wanted to make sure I could use the blank for either a casting rod or a spinning rod.

Spiel already answered your question perfectly, but just to add...

There's tons of creative applications possible with blanks. Don't look at the label, figure out exactly what length/action you desire, find a blank and build it to your spec's.

Example: A few years back I struggled to find the right fly rod blank for my great lakes steelheading.

I was looking for a rod that could duplicate the kinds of things I was doing with my long float rod and light tippets.

There's more available these days, but back then a fly blank like that didn't exist.

I took a 2pc. 11 1/2' IMX spinning rod blank and built it into the sweetest high stick nymphing rod you've ever seen.

It thew a 7wt fly line beautifully (if you slowed your casting stroke down) and because it had that parabolic action, it handled light tippets with ease.

Think outside the box and you'll have a one of a kind rod. :)